STRONG HISTORY. EXCITING FUTURE.
Bolthouse Farms is a farm located in California's fertile San Joaquin Valley, known for high-quality consumer brands and innovative products. Bolthouse Farms is a market share leader in growing and distributing carrots. In addition, Bolthouse Farms produces and sells super-premium juices, smoothies, protein shakes and café beverages under the Bolthouse Farms® brand name. In recent years, Bolthouse Farms diversified its offerings by launching a line of premium refrigerated yogurt dressings and extra virgin olive oil vinaigrettes. The Bolthouse Farms mission is to change the way people consume healthy foods and beverages.
Join the company that was named a top food innovator by Fast Company Magazine!
We are now accepting applications for an entry level Scientist position for the Bolthouse Farms Research & Development team based in Bakersfield, CA. This position requires a highly motivated, innovative, and organized candidate with strong communication and technical skills. The Scientist will support numerous R&D projects with laboratory, pilot plant, and production scale experiments under the guidance of Senior Scientists.
- Principal Account abilities: Project Execution (80%), Project Planning & Management (10%) & Communication (10%)
- Support Pilot Plant operations to ensure product and process specifications and regulations are met
- Support with experimental design to support pilot scale troubleshooting
- Conduct trials in the Pilot Plant or manufacturing facility to assess manufacturing capability
- Support projects with laboratory analytical work
- Provide technical assistance to cross functional team members when necessary
- Assist in working with technical and business teams to support product development
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills. Can execute timelines with guidance, that contain primary as well as contingency plans
- Leverage vendor capabilities where appropriate to expand on R&D capabilities
- Support data management, documentation, and specifications
- Ability to walk or stand up to three-quarters of the workday
- Physical ability to handle weights of approximately 50 pounds
- The work exposes the employee to heat and hot food products and requires the use of personal protective equipment
- Minimum of a BS in Engineering, Food Science, or related field
- 1-year experience in field preferred
- Demonstrated skills in commercializing products/processes in the manufacturing environment is desired
- Product development background with emphasis on plant-based solutions, including fruit, vegetable, juice and proteins
- A background in Science, Engineering, or Food Science with experience in food process/product development
- General knowledge of processing equipment and technologies
- General knowledge of ingredients and food systems
- Good problem-solving skills. Can determine with guidance the root cause of a problem and execute effectively on solutions
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to react rapidly to changes in direction.
- Ability to work with support groups and to function effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work with ambiguity and seek creative solutions
- Highly effective team player; willing to contribute in a wide variety of areas
- Good oral and written communications as well as presentation skills are required
- Knowledge of experimental design
- Computer skills include Excel, Word, Access, database and internet tools