STRONG HISTORY. EXCITING FUTURE.
Bolthouse Farms is a farm located in California's fertile San Joaquin Valley, known for high-quality consumer brands and innovative products. Bolthouse Farms is a market share leader in growing and distributing carrots. In addition, Bolthouse Farms produces and sells super-premium juices, smoothies, protein shakes and café beverages under the Bolthouse Farms® brand name. In recent years, Bolthouse Farms diversified its offerings by launching a line of premium refrigerated yogurt dressings and extra virgin olive oil vinaigrettes. The Bolthouse Farms mission is to change the way people consume healthy foods and beverages.
Join the company that was named a top food innovator by Fast Company Magazine!
We are currently seeking a Senior Scientist to join and be a leader in our Research and Development department in Bakersfield, CA.
The Senior Scientist will be creative, experienced and advanced in food and beverages technology. He/she will be responsible for ideation, product and process development and product improvement. They will provide technical plant-based insight and expertise. They must have excellent organization and communication skills and adapt to team work environment.
- Provides high technical expertise in developing and leading multiple natural beverage, ingredient and food projects with a focus on functional ingredients and plant-based solutions
- Provides ingredients, nutrition, specifications and cost estimates for products
- Plans projects, develops timetables and provides interim status reports
- Interacts with Marketing, Procurement, Manufacturing, QA and other functions to ensure proper project execution
- Stays current with new science and technology and applies internally
- Provides technical expertise and communicates technical progress for assigned projects
- Plans, organizes and leads experiments in the laboratory, pilot plant, plant trials and commercialization
- Creates and maintains formulations, specifications, processes, and testing procedures
- Records, compiles and analyzes test results and writes report
- Understands product cost drivers and opportunities for improvements
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds on an occasional basis
- Bachelor, Master, or Ph. D degree in Food Science, Food Technology or relevant field
- 7-15 years of food industry experience, depending on degree, in developing food products
- Knowledge of food: chemistry, rheology, composition, analysis, processes and regulations
- Sound education and technical skills and good relevant industrial experience
- Thorough knowledge of ingredient functionality, beverage formulation, and its relationship to process and packaging
- Keen sense of taste & ability to develop great tasting products
- Experience working with natural flavors
- Experience and knowledge in health & nutrition, natural ingredients and current food trends
- Good understanding of production and process scale up
- Knowledge of protein and protein beverage matrices
- Ability to develop and execute action plans for each project including experimental design, bench top, pilot plant, plant trials and commercialization
- Ability to evaluate and utilize technical information from internal and external sources
- Ability to Lead development and implementation of key product improvements, productivity initiatives, new products and line extensions
- Ability to work with suppliers to identify technical solutions
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent organization and communication skills and computer literacy
- Ability to mentor and interact with the junior technical professionals in the group
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Product development background with emphasis on plant-based solutions, including fruit, vegetable, juice and proteins
- Good communicational skills
- Innovation mindset, enthusiasm in learning new things
- Strong ability to multi-task, learn quickly and work well with a diverse team
- Proactive attitude and strong organizational skills