The Common Market seeks a Grower Relations Manager that will identify, on-board and manage our grower- producer relationships.
We are looking for an individual with deep agriculture or produce industry knowledge and account management experience with farms. Developed relationship network within the meat, dairy, seafood, egg, and produce segments highly valued in this role.
This position will require extensive travel to farms to work hand-in-hand with growers to identify opportunities for partnership with the Common Market. The ideal candidate is a systems thinker and possesses the professionalism to organize and negotiate terms with vendors. Success in this position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail.
This position is Home/Remote based while living within the Northeast, mid-Atlantic or Southeast regions.
- Identify and qualify new grower-producers aligned with The Common Market’s sustainable sourcing policies
- Manage relationships to increase supply from existing grower-producers
- Negotiate/Consult with farms on fair pricing, product quality, specs, and innovation
- Implement on-boarding of new growers-producers ensuring compliance requirements for supplier approval and food safety
- Assist grower-producers in forecasting and crop planning to ensure consistent product availability
- Works collaboratively with teams including warehouse, support, sales and marketing to ensure food quality, safety and that customer demands are met
- Extensive year-round travel throughout the Northeast, Southeast and Texas
- Bachelor's Degree and/or equivalent work experience (relevant discipline)
- Minimum of 3+ years of grower relations experience, or meat/produce procurement at the wholesale/distributor level
- Experience working directly with farmers; preferably small, local, family-farms
- Strong interest and knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems
- Knowledgeable of sustainable growing practices, including IPM, certified organic, certified humane, non-GMO
- Experience with on-farm capacity building a plus
- Knowledgeable of food safety certifications (HACCP, GAP)
- Developed ability to understand and translate sales demand to farmers and help guide crop planning to meet demand
- Strong project management and operational roll-out experience
- Very organized with strong follow-through, both externally and internally
- Experience with Microsoft Office, SalesForce
- Road warrior mentality with up to 80% travel