We are looking for a skilled greenhouse Grower with a passion for healthy and delicious food! Our client is in the Coachella Valley, where renewable solar and geothermal resources are plentiful and support their greenhouse produce growing operation, which covers nearly 9 acres and counting.
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Grower is responsible for managing the principles and practices of plant cultivation, propagation, ensuring that the product, (from beginning to the end) meets the high standards of this company and that of the marketplace. The Grower will also be responsible for the growth and development of the expanding team.
This is an excellent opportunity for a hands-on Grower to join a passionate and established team in a family-like environment where all members are greatly valued. This company is constantly evolving around the culinary consumer, where creativity and innovation are always highly encouraged.
- Ensure that the production of all products meets the company quality standards within the appropriate time frame to successfully achieve all sales goals.
- Responsible for all aspects of Greenhouses Environmental Control and Crop Irrigation utilizing Priva. This includes calling Priva customer support to troubleshoot any problem that may arise.
- Recommend environmental or watering schedule changes.
- Responsible for alarms on duty week/weekend. Ask questions when necessary; document findings in conjunction with growing history.
- Supervise, manage, oversee, and coach the growing team.
- Monitor and recommend changes to fertilization programs.
- Assure that all crops are being planted and transplanted according to the production schedule.
- Maintain and improve the Integrated Pest and Disease Management Program.
- Recommend weekly applications of beneficial insects and pesticide applications when needed.
- Maintain records of crop activities and observations, including pesticide applications.
- Communicate any cultural or plant issues to management immediately.
- Oversee the mother block for cuttings production, to ensure the quality of cuttings.
- Research and assist with issues pertaining to cutting propagation.
- Keep weekly records of growing times by variety throughout the year.
- Maintain growing supply levels/inventory and reorder as needed.
- Organize and document trials requested by management.
- Report to and work with the County Agricultural Commissioner. File monthly pesticide use report to the County Department of Agriculture.
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience as a greenhouse grower.
- Experience growing fresh produce preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy or equivalent.
- Proficiency with Priva or similar greenhouse environmental systems.
- The ability to work nights and weekends as needed (limited).
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
- A Pesticide Applicator License will be required and can be obtained with the county upon hire.
This Job has a $1,000 Referral Reward!