This is an opportunity to join an emerging company as Director of Retail Sales. You will play a key role in the development and building of their brand! Although they have a well-developed vision and strategy, they’re seeking someone whose insights and experience will contribute to their further development.
To be clear, this is NOT one of those, “bring your book of business,” sales opportunities. Of course, no one is going to turn away business. Realistically, they are seeking a solid performer whose experience, respect, knowledge, and relationships can open doors, start the dialog and create “crawl, walk and run” scenarios within retail customers. Naturally, they’re seeking results and ROI, and their expectations are realistic for a well-healed top performer.
Our client is a vertically integrated importer and shipper of fresh produce. They have an experienced and well networked leadership team that brings solid, long lasting partnerships with exceptional growers around the globe. They are able to consistently supply volume and quality to their customers across North America. They ship both conventional and organic fruit, specializing in the citrus category. Their company culture is rooted in family, and has been formed around a balance of teamwork, individual contribution, and synergy. Their sales team has a lot of fun while working hard and building a business together.
The Director of Retail Sales will leverage their past success with retail customers to build and nurture customer relationships starting east of the Mississippi, focusing on commitment and program sales. As the business builds, there will be the opportunity to bring on and manage a sales team. This is a special opportunity for someone who is passionate about building a business, brand, and program.
Looking ahead, they will continue to build their presence in North America and globally. Their focus is to hire a team-player who will grow and build with them. This position will report into the company headquarters in Southern New Jersey and has the potential to work remotely with extensive travel (post COVID). The company offers a competitive compensation plan that includes a comprehensive benefits package and incentives for performance.
- Develop and maintain deep and effective relationships with strategic retail accounts
- Tracking market trends, competitor information and ultimately identifying business opportunities
- Provide excellent customer service and ensure client satisfaction at all times
- Assess market potential and identify new business opportunities
- Research data and use intuition and experience to provide knowledge-based solutions to customers
- Leverage customer knowledge to identify business opportunities
- Constantly monitor the competitive landscape and market conditions to identify opportunities, issues, and risks in order to recommend tactical strategies
- Travel for in-person meetings with customers and partners to develop key relationships
- At least 7 years of successful experience selling fresh produce, developing short- and long-term business solutions with major retail chains
- Experience should include extensive retail key-account business development and account management, working directly with retailers and wholesalers
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- A creative problem solver, who can find customers’ pain points and develops solutions to create small inroads that lead to building a track record, relationship, and trust, and ultimately a program.
- Proven track record of strong sales, customer relations, meeting quotas and closing deals
- Experience in the citrus category is preferred, with kiwi, apples and grapes a plus
- Belief in company story and mission as well as belief in oneself
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong commercial and financial awareness
- Excellent with Computer skills including PowerPoint, Excel, Word
- Initiative to undertake self-development activities and seek increased responsibilities
- Must be independent and self-motivated with the ability to work effectively in a remote/home office setting
- Aptitude to work within a collaborative environment utilizing technology tools such as Teams
- Ability and desire to travel extensively in the Northeast and beyond as needed
This Job has a $1,000 Referral Reward!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.