A grower-shipper in the Salinas Valley is seeking a Senior Human Resources Professional to join their leadership team.
The Senior Director of Human Resources will be responsible for guiding and managing the overall Human Resources department including the development and implementation of corporate programs, policies and procedures as well as leading HR strategic plan objectives. Our ideal candidate will have a passion for excellence and an eye for detail and possess outstanding interpersonal skills. Additionally, we are looking for an exceptional leader and team builder who has the ability to motivate and inspire.
Our client prides themselves on having a highly competitive compensation plan, which takes into consideration experience and prior achievements and then rewards performance. They also offer excellent benefits including health (currently 100% employee/family), vacation, sick leave, and a generous 401k plan with a 4% match.
- Lead practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented; high-performance culture.
- Support strategic operational hiring decisions, recruitments and terminations to ensure effectiveness throughout all core operations.
- Utilize both internal and external sources to create an ongoing system to benchmark industry-wide standards for “best practices.”
- Conduct a continuing study of all HR policies, programs, and practices (employee turnover, workplace safety, etc.) to keep executive management informed of new developments.
- Reinforce Company’s vision, mission, and culture by setting positive example.
- Recruit, motivate, and manage an effective team of human resource progressions and support staff.
- Create and maintain effective working relationships with all departments that emphasizes open dialogue, personal chemistry, and a team approach.
- Promote mentoring and leadership that produces a team environment.
- Be a trusted force within the organization; work diligently to help employees grow and improve.
- Design, direct and manage the company’s recruitment, placement, training and retention programs including orientation, positive discipline, company policy and sexual harassment.
- Address employee complaints, suggestions, and appeals through the “Open Door Policy”.
- Manage disciplinary process, respond to complex grievances, and act as mediator as needed.
- Create, update and maintain accurate and compliant job descriptions.
- Create and maintain KPI’s for HR, Safety, Retention, etc.
- Remain up to date on new laws, taxes, wages, hiring processes and company benefits that could impact the organization
- Lead spokesperson with DLSE, EEOC, DOL, DHS, ICE, ALRB, NLRB and OSHA/CAL-OSHA agencies.
- Oversee compliance and ensure financial wellbeing by pre-empting and mitigating any possibly negative actions for non-compliance.
- Constantly review and monitor changes to ACA and impact on health insurance, while monitoring cost, analyzing options, and projecting possible outcomes.
- Oversee state sick time regulations in California (PSL) and Arizona (PST). Monitor projected sick time expense to actual utilized and make recommendations to limit expense exposure.
- Maintain up-to-date policies and procedures, employee handbooks and manuals; ensure they are legal, in compliance, manageable, and relevant to operations.
- Oversee the structure of mandatory training programs - Including but not limited to sexual harassment and prevention, HIPAA, safety, supervisor/manager development and specific business application training.
- Conduct audits to ensure compliance with the most up-to-date policies, procedures, regulatory mandates, and laws.
- Approve the design and development of in-depth safety training programs that are customized to each unique operation based on potential risk assessment and historical losses.
- Monitor and disseminate new safety regulations; provide leadership in rolling-out safety programs and compliance tracking tools.
- Oversee the proper handling of investigations and risk management.
Benefits and Compensation
- Provide input to help ensure that the company’s compensation program is competitive and equitable.
- Exercise general supervision over all company and benefit programs.
- Stay informed of new trends in alternative methods of compensation and changes in tax law.
- Analyze, recommend and structure competitive compensation plans.
- Evaluate and assess group benefits available in the market. Prepare competitive recommendations that include comprehensive and affordable options for employees.
- Work with department heads on mitigating risk that could impact annual pricing.
- Draft and recommend aggressive Fleet Driving, Safety, and Return to Work Programs.
- Review and analyze historical premium and loss data, research new insurance programs, compare cost analysis and make recommendations the help contain premium expense.
- Ensure maintenance of all pertinent documents, records, and information systems.
- Process, verify, and maintain documentation relating to recruitment, training, grievances, conflict and performance evaluations.
- Maintain employee data records including addresses, earnings, absences, amount of sales, or production, supervisory reports on performance, date of and reasons for terminations, etc.
- Examine employee files to answer inquiries and provide information for personnel actions.
- Partner with finance to manage annual budget as it relates to HR, Benefits, Safety, Workers Compensation, and Commercial Insurance contracts.
- Oversee the effective management of performance evaluations.
- Lead Risk Management audits to help identify potential risk and recommend appropriate corrective action plans.
- Implement innovative technology solutions that address employee informational needs and improve execution of Human Resources processes and functions.
- BA/BS Degree and a minimum of 10 years of human resources management experience.
- Experience within an agriculture environment that includes growing, harvesting and marketing entities.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentational communication skills.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is highly desirable.
- Strong computer literacy and experience with human resource systems.
- Confidential. Able to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Compassionate. Able to empathize with people and work together to create solutions
- Exceptional manager and team builder, with the ability to motivate and inspire.
- Great listener. A “people person” with extraordinary interpersonal and management skills.
- Strong negotiator. Effectively utilize techniques to gain support for recommended programs.
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement
- Ability to travel as needed.