Our client has been farming land in the Salinas Valley for over 20 years. Today they farm more than 25,000 acres of fresh specialty vegetables throughout California’s central coast and the Southwestern US. This company has grown substantially over the past several years and is constantly thinking of new ways to expand and improve their business. They aren’t afraid to try new things and continue to evolve. Our client prides themselves on maintaining a family-oriented culture where every employee is treated with respect, listened to and encouraged to give their best every day.
As this dynamic organization looks ahead, they need a finance and accounting expert to join their executive team as CFO. This position will be an integral part of the leadership team and be responsible for the oversight and guidance of all activities related to accounting and finance. The CFO will report directly to the President and will oversee a well-established team. This position will be located in Salinas, California and will require some travel as needed.
We are looking for a forward thinking and strategically minded individual who truly understands the produce business with all of its intricacies. This leadership team expects input, fresh ideas and constructive criticism when needed. The ideal candidate will work well within all levels of the organization and always set an example with the highest level of integrity and work ethic.
This is a sensational chance to work closely with the owners of one of the Salinas Valley’s truly great companies providing strategic financial guidance and ideas using your proven expertise and experience. You will have the benefit of working with a very strong controller and accounting team. This gives you the opportunity to focus on ways to enhance the organization through strategic initiatives that will help pave the way for the future success of the company.
- Collaborate with the leadership team by providing strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense scrutiny
- Direct the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives
- Deliver explanations and business solutions to help mitigate financial risks and provide information needed for making important business decisions
- Maintain oversight of all legal matters and coordinate with attorneys the necessary responses
- Assist with the development of new policies and procedures and provide input to continuously improve accounting processes and procedures
- Liaison with financial institutions with monthly reporting, line of credit needs and quarterly covenant reporting
- Ensure preparation of information, reports, and working papers for all operating and capital budgets
- Work with an insurance broker, manage the structure of commercial insurance packages to ensure adequate coverage at reasonable cost
- Lead monthly board meeting with partners and explain major variances in the financial results
- Manage the accounting/finance team in a manner consistent with the company’s core values
- Perform other duties and projects as requested primarily by the President
- An exceptional leader and team player with 15+ years of experience in accounting and finance for a produce company (grower/packer/processor preferred)
- At least 10 years in a financial leadership role with successful experience as a CFO.
- BA/BS in Accounting, (CPA and/or MBA a plus)
- Expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Strong leadership ability focused on mentorship, collaboration and team development
- Strategically minded with the ability to navigate through complex financial situations to maximize results
- Strong analytical and accounting skills with hands-on experience in both GL Accounting and FP&A
- Ability to research, retrieve and organize data to prepare reports and financial documentation, set-up and maintain databases, and accurately perform complex financial analysis
- Systems Savvy and experienced in Famous (or similar) with the ability to optimize the utilization of the system
- An excellent understanding of the working relationships within a dynamic company
This Job has a $1,000 Referral Reward!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.