To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions of the position. Essential job functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Efficiently manage the multi-site farm operations and ensure excellent customer and vendor satisfaction so that the company is able to meet the financial goals and objectives.
- Managing farm operations budgeting, forecasting and performance to expectations.
- Working closely with the President to review financial performance of the farm operations programs to maximize revenue and improve gross profit margins.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are followed by each farm and department (Operations, Safety, HR, etc.).
- Supports and drives proactive safety programs and partners with management team to aggressively manage Workers’ Compensation claims.
- Works to resolve labor relation issues and takes appropriate action to correct such problems.
- Attract, retain and motivate farm operations staff.
- Report and share information with management to ensure they are kept fully informed of activities.
- Oversee soil sampling and fertilizer recommendations.
- Development and execution of pest management strategies.
- Field scouting schedules and directing necessary adjustments to crop management plans.
- Monitoring soil moisture and irrigation schedules, irrigation system application and uniformity.
- Seed handling and cutting as well as planter spacing accuracy.
- Quality Assurance including plant tissue and soil sampling during the growing season for fertility management, test digs to estimate yields, size profile and monitor quality, variety record-keeping and monitoring of bruise-free handling during harvest.
- Maintain a safe working environment and used appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Comply with company policies, safety regulations and legal guidelines. Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
This position directly manages the Farm Managers, Harvest Manager and Planting Manager.
Travel up to 50% of work time to manage sites, some overnight travel may be expected and/or required.
5+ years experience managing agricultural production.
Self-directed individual who can take the lead on issues to identify and implement solutions with team input.
Demonstrated strategic management of irrigated crops.
Demonstrated financial management experience and budgeting skills.
Job Description VP of Operations
Adaptability to changing situations and have the ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities.
Able to foster accountability, good communication, and excellence in employees.
Able to work under pressure and work with all types of employees.
Proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs (Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and a general aptitude with software systems.
Supports and drives proactive safety programs and partners with management team to aggressively manage Workers’ Compensation claims.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to train and work with operational personnel on the farms.
Superior organizational and project management skills and experience leading and managing people.
Ability to acquire and hold a valid driver’s license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification.
Ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and Spanish; and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Ag Business, Associates degree or related agricultural certification is preferred.
- Any combination of experience, education, and training that provides the level of knowledge, skills, and experience needed to successful perform the job.