We are seeking an experienced Orchard Manager for a unique opportunity to start an organic stone fruit farm in Descanso, CA. Located 40 miles east of the city of San Diego, our 51 acres of land was once a racetrack, then a carrot farm, and currently has a small grove of approximately 30 fruit trees and grape vines on the property. If you have experience starting an orchard, we want to hear from you.
Please apply to learn more about our startup.
- Manage the project from the very beginning, including sourcing needed equipment, deciding the layout of the orchard, and overseeing any contractors and work teams that help with the project
- Communicate with the owner regularly to discuss plans and progress
- Perform any needed tasks to keep the project moving forward (this is more than a “manager” position – we need someone willing to complete hands-on work)
- Strong experience starting and managing a fruit orchard
- Knowledge of Organic agriculture practices is required (IPM, Organic certification process, fertilization, harvesting etc.)
- Familiarity with the growing region and water management techniques
- Ability to perform necessary manual labor
- Knowledge of sustainability and permaculture practices is a plus