Are you ready to take all your experience, skills, imagination, relationships and drive, and build a company and brand nearly from scratch?
Our client is a large and established grower and a dynamic private equity group who together are about to launch a new sustainable, organic blueberry brand. There are 250 acres in production now, 450 more being planted now, and many & more coming!
If you like building and running a business, then this may be your calling! This is the first position to be hired for this company. That’s right. You will get to plow “virgin soil” in the sense that you’re going to help drive, develop and manage a strategy, team and ultimately a sizable business.
The Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing is responsible for the creation, successful launch and daily management of all sales and marketing activities. To be clear, you’re not going to be a one-person show. Rather, you’re responsible for the strategy, team and execution.
Of course, marketing into fresh produce is the plan, but think bigger! Frozen, freeze dried, juice, value added and more. How and where can you build this business, maximize returns to the grower and build the brand?
Intrigued? There’s more. Our client wants the right person. This special produce professional will be able to set up the company office in a location of their choosing. This person will be well compensated in terms of salary, and have the opportunity for profit sharing. There is potential for upward mobility too! Yes, the right person will be considered to run the company, beyond Sales and Marketing.
If starting off with a clean slate excites you…….and you have the experience, skills, drive and passion to “make a dent in the universe,” then let’s talk!
Start up Phase:
- Strategy, vision, and start-up of the marketing entity
- Product and brand development
- Acquiring and setting up office space and the front-end infrastructure
- Hiring a team
- As a member of the Sr. Leadership Team you will part of the decision-making process at the highest level, including but limited to long/short planning, strategy, Capex, company direction, branding, etc
- Maintain and develop relationships with customers in an effort to market the company's blueberry program in a manner designed to generate the highest possible return to the growers.
- Responsible for marketing the entire blueberry crop.
- Seek out new accounts and revenue generating opportunities that support the company’s mission and create sustainable growth for their company. Develop and improve operational systems that increase efficiency and profitability across the sales ordering process.
- Develop, mentor, and lead the sales, marketing and support teams.
- Lead by example and doing, in all areas, including dealing with people and customer service.
- Develop annual sales and marketing strategic business plans to drive revenue and increase market share.
- Drive and lead continuous development and refinement of the processes, procedures, systems and protocols.
- Constantly monitor the competitive landscape and market conditions to identify opportunities, issues, and risks in order to recommend tactical strategies.
- Provide the highest level of integrity and promote a positive company image inside and outside the organization.
- Create sales and margin goals.
- Develop and leverage sales and margin performance analytics that help continually increase sales and profitability.
- Closely monitor the market and competition and advise the leadership team on changes in the market (i.e. competitive pricing, new products, etc.).
- Attend industry and customer specific trade shows, conferences, and meeting with prospective and existing customers.
- 10+ years of sales and marketing leadership experience in the produce industry with a successful track record of building and coaching highly productive teams.
- Familiarity with fresh, frozen, and high-end value-added processed produce products.
- Blueberry/berry experience a strong plus!
- A well-established book of business in retail, wholesale and food service. Food processors a plus!
- Highly knowledgeable about the latest consumer trends in produce and food.
- Proven ability to sell a value-based program including value/pricing ratio.
- Team oriented and comfortable working in geographically dispersed, vertically integrated business with all areas of supply chain including a marketing and research team.
- Extensive knowledge of all consumer groupings and understand the segmentation, including demographics and other applicable characteristics.
- Extensive knowledge of branding and the ability to translate the corporate story into the value proposition of each targeted consumer group.
- Understanding of farm concepts including organic grown, food safety, sustainability, and best in class certifications including GlobalGAP.
- Knowledgeable about concept of sustainable products including packaging, logistics, and delivery.
- Comfortable with basic accounting principles as well as more strategic financial planning and analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with ability to make sound decisions and solve problems in a confident, decisive manner.
We are searching for an accomplished executive level sales and marketing expert with successful leadership experience in the produce industry. This is a unique opportunity to have an impact on both the company and the industry.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated high-level leadership, vision, creativity, possess the ability to think outside the box and help forge a corporate culture that is open and innovative. We are looking for someone who will roll up their sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done each day.
This is a project that requires an entrepreneurial spirit. This opportunity requires vision, drive, can-do-it-ness, self-motivation, and the utmost integrity. That said, we want a team player, consensus builder, and leader.