Responsible for providing Dole’s customers ongoing technical and training support for fresh fruit products including the proper use of banana ripening rooms and retail merchandising techniques.
Works closely with Sales, R&D personnel, quality assurance manager. Works closely with customers at the warehouse level, produce managers at the retail level, and may interact with customers’ upper management.
This position requires traveling approximately up to 70% of the time on a nation-wide basis. Trips required might be in sequence, which demands two weeks or more away from home at a time. Must be willing to relocate for advancement into sales position.
- Visits customer facilities, on schedule and ad hoc basis to provide technical training and support that ensure proper use of equipment and merchandising techniques.
- Works closely with sales and R&D personnel to resolve technical issues related to the handling, packaging, ripening and merchandising of fresh fruit products.
- Completes administrative work necessary to plan/organize work schedules and document and report on issues addressed.
- Applies basic analytical skills to perform customer technical training and support.
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the Technical Services team and how the team integrates with others.
- Able to quickly diagnose and tactfully suggest solution. Uses standard operating procedures or scientific methods to resolve technical issues.
- Ability to take charge of situations in the field to improve warehouse and retail operations; has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Act as Dole representative to the customer; impacts own work.
- Uses communication skills to exchange information; diplomatic individual able to enter and calm highly charged situations.
- Corporate headquarters office requirements are a business setting.
- Ability to lift 45 lbs, and work in a cold environment.
- Maintains all property and supporting material used for Technical Service.
- Works in a warehouse setting or field location.
- Includes working around heavy equipment such as forklifts, tow motors.
- Exposure to food grade chemicals.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Ability to work in high places.
- Noise level of the environment is often loud.
- Excellent communication skills including well-developed ability to make group presentations are necessary, as is demonstrable mechanical aptitude.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong customer service and problem-solving orientation.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision.
- High level of motivation.
- Bilingual Spanish preferable.
- A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Business Administration, Marketing or a technical field related to Ag production or related fields/food processing.
- Two or more years of previous related experience is preferable.