The Jr. Buyer is Responsible for maintaining proper inventory levels of products based on usage. Assure that quality product is available at competitive cost. Support senior salespersons/buyers with store orders, product distribution, vendor purchase orders and relations. Interact as a team with sales, warehousing and distribution. Cover shortages promptly. Monitor product forecast, market trends and suppliers to determine future prices and availability. The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to work in an environment that is constantly changing and possess strong organizational, communication, and time management skills.
We are looking to add a Jr. Buyer to our team.
Being a family-owned and run business, our team is family. We offer a great work environment, and a competitive compensation package including health benefits.
- Support Salespersons/Buyers on all day-to-day functions; creating POs, monitoring pricing, contacting customers/vendors, etc.
- Source, select and negotiate pricing.
- Maintain vendor relationships; work with Vendors and Salespersons/Buyers to help negotiate better terms and/or costs for merchandise being purchased.
- Work with dispatch to secure pickup, or with Vendors to secure on-time delivery.
- Must understand and be familiar with grades and conditions of various fresh produce items.
- Actively review the quality of products to ensure aptness for customers.
- Inspect inbound product for quality, grade and defects – communicate to Salespersons/Buyers.
- Work hand in hand with inventory team.
- Be aware of daily inventory items that may need to be moved quickly due to days on hand or quality concerns – report to sales team.
- Communicate product returns if needed.
- Communicate to Vendors when products show unseen defects – request price adjustments/protection.
- Must be punctual.
- Be aware of scheduled times for outbound orders, and work to achieve these goals.
- Communicate any issues relating to timeliness of delivery to Salespersons/Buyers.
- Establishes and maintains a reputation of credibility and responsiveness; promptly returns vendor and store phone calls, ensures timely follow-up.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Strong Communication – Able to communicate directions, obtains clarification to ensure understanding, and responds well to inquiries.
- Professionalism - Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to accept change and be a proponent of change in meeting customers’ needs, and as needed.
- Maintains professionalism during stressful situations and maintains composure. A Jr. Buyer represents the company when working with Vendors, as well as customers.
- Two or more years in food/produce industry – Required.
- Highschool diploma/G.E.D.
- Basic math skills and reasoning skills – Required.
- Bi Lingual (speak/read/write) - English/Spanish – Required.
- Intermediate computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook) – Required.
- Familiarity and experience with a wide range of produce items.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others at all levels of organization.
- Experience with Famous Software (preferred).
- Experience with other produce software is a plus.
- Able to move/lift 40 lbs. unassisted.
- Able to work in temperatures typical of a refrigerated warehouse environment.
- Position spends 50% of time on feet either walking, lifting, pulling and pushing.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.