Located in Fresno, California, Fowler Packing Company is the parent company to some of the industry’s most popular brands, including Peelz Citrus, Samsons Grapes, G3 Development Company, and EMID Design Group. Fowler Packing was formed in 1950 as a small tree fruit operation and has grown into a trendsetter in quality, efficiency, and sustainability. Today the company is built of over 700 full-time employees and frontrunners in agriculture, real estate, and interior design industries. If you are looking for an in-house position that offers a variety of work, this is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
The Capital Assets Accountant will be responsible for performing accounting functions throughout the fixed asset life cycle. The successful candidate will have a variety of responsibilities including tracking and closing Purchase Orders (POs), closing Construction In Process (CIP) projects to fixed assets upon completion, maintaining the accuracy of fixed asset listings, assist with preparation of cost segregations as applicable, and prepare ad hoc, monthly, and annual reports as well as journal entries to support stakeholders. The Capital Assets Accountant must exercise effective communication skills, exhibit strong cost accounting acumen, collaborate effectively with team members, and offer suggestions and support for continuous improvement within a dynamic environment.
Specific tasks will also include:
- Review and analyze CIP project expenses to ensure costs are within the project scope and Company policies and procedures are followed.
- Verify PO’s are fully received or follow up to address remaining outstanding commitments.
- Upon completion of a project and all costs incurred, close out project costs and create journal entries to transfer costs to appropriate fixed asset general ledger accounts and enter additions in fixed asset software.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of CIP, and fixed asset accounts ensuring support documentation and subsidiary ledger detail ties to general ledger balances.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of MS Dynamics NAV fixed asset module and other fixed asset software tools.
- Become power user of the BNA Tax Fixed Asset application, understanding all fields to be populated for the asset records and ensuring all books – including GAAP and various Tax books, are updating accurately.
- Assist with capital versus operating lease analysis for new and existing leases.
- Plan, coordinate, count, and record the results of periodic physical inventory of fixed assets.
- Calculate accurately the gain or loss when assets are sold, exchanged, or otherwise disposed of for tax and financial reporting purposes.
- Prepare fixed asset disposal, transfer, or retirement journal entries in accordance with Company policies and ensuring proper documentation is provided and records are appropriately updated.
- Prepare depreciation and amortization journal entries for all applicable assets and reconcile the related accounts monthly.
- Prepare supporting documentation and respond to external and internal inquiries related to the Company’s financial reporting and tax compliance.
- Prepare annual Property Tax statements and review them for possible property value appeals.
- Assist with capital expenditure (Capex) accounting, analysis, or other reporting matters as requested by Managers.
- Communicate proactively with other staff, managers, and ownership as applicable for all Capex and depreciation related activities.
- To perform his job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management, or equivalent is preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting standards and concepts, including FASB ASC 360 and ASC 842.
- Understanding of monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes.
- Working knowledge and experience of the job cost accounting system and fixed asset tax system are preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV is a plus.
- Experience with real estate taxation including IRC §1031 exchanges, is also a plus.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills are helpful.
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities for self and the department while maintaining timeline integrity for projects and tasks.
- Self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision/oversight by anticipating next steps.
- Able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats and present information appropriately based on the target audience.
- Regularly and proactively communicates work progress, concerns, and questions in an open and clear manner.
Life at Fowler Packing
For 70 years, Fowler Packing has provided thousands of employees the opportunities to build a rewarding career that includes continued education, robust corporate culture, competitive compensation, benefits packages, and paid sick and holidays. Additionally, all employees enjoy complimentary meals at one of our two on-site cafeterias, and on-site health clinic visits at no cost.
Fowler Packing provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.