Houweling's Group, is a family owned, world-renowned greenhouse vegetable grower with farms in Camarillo, CA, Delta, BC and Mona, UT. As a leader and innovator in the state of the art, sustainable greenhouse farming industry, the company continues to focus on year-round, locally grown produce, as consumers continue to prove a desire and willingness to purchase local. In addition to greenhouse tomato and cucumber growing, the company operates a state of the art seedling propagation division and full service logistics department, offering vertical integration from seed through to delivery at our customers.
Purpose/Objective: The purpose of this role is to supervise the pest and pesticide programs for the Utah facility. This role keeps all pests and diseases under control with the support of the Pest & Disease Manager. The employee will report all issues on time, and keep records for all chemicals and bios all year round. Complies with legal requirements and keep permits and reports updated.
Ensures that the greenhouse is scouted on a weekly basis to detect problems and create control strategies: Scout report cards and scout rows for disease identification.
Develops and implements weekly spray schedule in close coordination with the grower and IPM Manager. Manages the Reentry interval and PHI
Supervise, train, coach, and assists the scouts and spray teams in any areas where assistance is needed.
Prepares weekly bio controls based on scouts’ reports, evaluations, and observations. Must be detailed to monitor spots to manage rates accordingly.
Communicate with IPM Coordinator to get all needed materials for pest and disease control in a timely manner.
Renew and maintain company pesticide permits and/or certifications.
Keep pollination marks in good condition. Marks should be at the 3-4-mark rank. Keeps beehives in best possible shape. Ensures beehives are closed/open daily.
Keeps updated inventory of beehives and reorders on a weekly basis based on pollination reports. Removes old beehives according recommendations
Maintains pesticide storage and mixing area and monitors to ensure any corrective actions are addressed.
Maintains chemical inventory twice per month or as needed.
Controls and dispenses disinfectant solutions. Ensures rates and concentrations are calculated correctly and according to product labels and ensures product activation.
Ensures equipment is under good operational condition.
Ensure the sprayer team wears the proper PPE and keep records of masks to replace them on time or after hour use.
Keep records of all chemical applications and bios introductions.
Provide weekly insect reports.
Collects samples and sends plants to the lab for residue and disease analyses and follows protocols according results.
Follow Hygiene and disinfection protocols for virus issues and clean houses process and communicate to Pest & Disease Manager any suggestions before implementing any action.
Facilitates animal control program including rodents, inspects traps, and introduces poison as needed.
Manages the site Safety Data Sheets.
Facilitates Monthly Water testing and reviews with GM to ensure compliance.
Participates in the HACCP Team and other Food Safety regulatory programs.
Must observe and adhere to all company policies and procedures and to all external authorities.
Coordinates annual Pesticide Applicator training and any other necessary required training in partnership with the Health and Safety Specialist.
- Ensures that equipment is well calibrated and reports any issues to the maintenance department.
- Weekly scouts report
- Monthly rodent report
- Spray log file updating
- Spray map track report
- Bees distribution and control inventory
- Bios introduction records
- Suspicious plants report
- Weekly reports to feed the company insect report
- Keep records of trap inspections on a weekly basis.
- Inventory control/Purchasing
- Chemicals, beehives, bio’s and safety materials for purchasing via IPM coordinator in California.
- Inventory control for chemical consumption.
- Assist in establishing group objectives and priorities.
- Ensure staff follow established policies and procedures while encouraging quality and continuous improvement.
- Assist in staffing requirements, work assignment and schedules.
- Assist in the recruitment of operations employees – interviewing and selection.
- Assist in new hire orientation and training and the ongoing training and development of the operations team.
- Monitor and mentor staff while providing feedback.
- Assist with resourcing and scheduling (OT, Vacation, Absences and other time off)
- Ensure all employees are trained and adhere to all worksite safety, food safety, hygiene protocols and compliance standards.
- Assist in performance evaluation, promotion, and termination activities.
- High School Diploma and/or College Degree in Horticulture, Agriculture or Biological Science.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a similar role.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish
- Holds Pesticide Applicators License or willing to complete the course.
- Must have bio control experience
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Technical knowledge of pest eradication and disease control in an agricultural setting.
- High attention to detail in all work, have strong project management skills and can coordinate several priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Ability to logically solve problems and work under pressure.
- Perform calculations and operations for chemicals ratings (V/V, Conversions, percentages, rates, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills to monitor and track numerous activities throughout the year.
- Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
- Strong people management skills and organizational skills. Leads by example.
- Flexible and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Strong work ethic and demonstrates accountability and adaptability.
- Ensures that activities under pest department are being performed according to quality standards and as suggested by Pest & Disease Manager.