Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to eliminate food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality eggs and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices.
We are currently accepting resumes for a Produce Buyer to join our team in San Francisco, CA.
The Produce Buyer is a dedicated, enthusiastic, and highly motivated individual on the Supply Team. They will be responsible for maintaining vendor relationships, order placement, and quality/condition of the incoming product. This position is under the supervision of the Purchasing Manager.
- Consistently meet quarterly metrics based on product quality, margin, on time deliveries, and product cost
- Maintain relationships with priority vendors by staying in regular communication, placing orders with high accuracy, and ensuring product quality. Troubleshoot general supplier issues and resolve credit requests to suppliers in a timely manner
- Negotiate better prices based on knowledge of seasonality, market prices, and trends across vendors. Visit growers to explore opportunities for mutually beneficial relationships
- Facilitate onboarding of new vendors given by the Purchasing Manager to verify smooth integration into our systems and processes, ensuring that they meet all our requirements. Notify the Purchasing Manager and Director of Sourcing of any gaps in sourcing due to insufficient vendors or volume for a specific commodity (organic or conventional)
- Work with Merchandising and Brand to implement promo/ad internal programs, ensuring success from beginning to end
- Assist finance with resolving PO and invoice discrepancies. Coordinate with receivers to verify arrivals
- You're highly energetic and friendly attitude, ready to learn
- You're extremely organized with a strong attention to detail
- You're able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- 1-3 years’ experience purchasing produce
- Extensive knowledge in the fresh produce industry (for both organic and conventional product), including PACA guidelines, temperature guidelines, and USDA inspections
- Proven vendor relationships and firm negotiation skills
- Experience in quickly solving issues and working in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Excel, Word, Google Sheets/Docs and ERP systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, agriculture, related field or relevant experience