Imperfect is a produce delivery startup on a mission to reduce food waste and to make fresh produce more affordable, accessible, and convenient. We source produce directly from farms, which would otherwise go to waste, and deliver it to customers' doors for an average of 30% less than grocery store prices. Since our start in 2015, our customers have saved millions of pounds of produce from going to waste.
Imperfect is more than just a produce box! In everything we do, we bring an appetite, lead with heart, embrace imperfection, and work to grow the movement. We aim to cultivate sustainable environments everywhere we go–whether in the office, warehouse, or field. By working at Imperfect, you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest. You’re improving access to healthy food in food deserts. With each curvy cucumber and misshapen potato, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations in each of our cities: the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Austin and Baltimore.
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role:
The Director of Produce Merchandising & Category Management is responsible for leading and managing the Merchandising & Inventory Managers located at each of our pack centers across the country. This key role will ensure that the Merchandisers offer an attractive assortment of fruits and vegetables for our customers each week while achieving their respective targets for selling price, margin and competitive pricing.
Please note, this is not an in-store visual merchandising position. We are seeking a candidate with experience in corporate merchandising and/or category management.
Develop and implement produce category strategy along with pricing and margin metrics
Effectively manage and inspire the Merchandising team by providing positive leadership and direction
Meet key metrics for subscription revenue/box and margin
Ensure that subscription prices meet competitive pricing targets
Work with cross-functional teams to minimize customer shorts
Identify any key trends in demand and work with Produce Procurement team to source items desired
Develop analysis needed to understand and explain performance against key metrics
Identify and ensure best practices for Merchandising across all pack centers
Improve systems as needed to improve performance and productivity
- 10+ years experience working in the produce or fresh food industry
- 2 - 5 years in a Director level position within corporate retail
- Proven experience managing teams of at least five professional employees
- Merchandising, procurement, or category management experience required
- Understanding of e-commerce and curating produce or meal kit boxes
- Experience with a fast-growing company or start-up preferred
- Ability to analyze sales trends, pricing, and margins
- Airtight quantitative skills including intermediate to expert proficiency with Excel (including Macros) and Google Sheets, SQL a plus
- Experience leveraging common visualization tools, such as Mode Analytics, to tell a story with data
- Solid experience working with ERP systems like Netsuite
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change easily
- You’re data-driven and use a quantitative approach to guide decision-making and to define and track your KPIs
- You love working in and managing a team, and work as both a player and coach; you love seeing your team succeed and celebrate their wins while helping them to learn from their losses
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste
Details of the Position:
- Exempt, salaried position reporting to the Vice President of Supply at our San Francisco Headquarters (Bayview)
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package provided including healthcare, vacation days, 401k, and a free weekly Imperfect box!
- Domestic travel required
- Sedentary work; predominantly involves sitting most of the time
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Walking, climbing stairs, and standing are required only occasionally
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets also required