Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
We are looking for an experienced grower that will help us bring up and expand our new greenhouse facility in Gilroy,CA. Candidates must have a holistic understanding of the many factors that affect plant growth and be prepared to think out of the box when solving problems. The ideal grower is a motivated, organized individual with a passion for agriculture and innovation.
As a grower at Iron Ox, you will assist with daily farm operations and be a key member of the Iron Ox team. Our Growing team will be focused on optimizing plant growth to produce a consistent and high quality product. You will be leveraging your extensive background in greenhouse production to inform the development and integration of a fully automated growing system. This is a full-time position with time split between San Carlos and Gilroy locations.
- Iron Ox is a small startup with big dreams, you’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
- We’re in the heart of San Carlos walking distance to Caltrain and great restaurants.
- We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
- We offer medical, dental and vision.
- We have a fresh salad bar for employees 5 days a week.
- Monitoring plant health and performance from seed to harvest
- Day to day greenhouse operations such as transplanting and harvesting crops
- Follow and implement company standards for quality and food safety
- Maintain a safe working environment for humans and robots
- Manage greenhouse crew
- Collaborate with other members of the Grow team to improve crop efficiency and yield
- Communicate with cross functional teams within Iron Ox
- Ability to lift 25 pounds regularly, and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
- Ability to bend at the waist, crouch, stoop, squat, and kneel.
- Fine manipulation with hands, pinching and other work done primarily with fingers.
- Ability to work in greenhouse conditions, a wide range of temperatures, humidity, and sunlight.
- Stand for extended periods of time.
- Experience growing vegetable crops in hydroponic systems (leafy greens and herbs)
- IPM program experience, any DPR certifications
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish
- 3-5 years of experience working in a production greenhouse
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in horticulture, plant science or equivalent
- Holistic understanding of factors that affect plant growth
- Experience leading a crew
- Champion of an effective food safety program
- Experience with fertigation and climate control technology typically used in CEA
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Google Suite would be ideal
- Great time management, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Self starter who has great attention to detail and a willingness to learn new subjects.
- Proactive, goal oriented individuals who take pride in their accomplishments.
- Team player