Lakeside Organic Gardens is the largest family-owned and operated solely organic vegetable grower/shipper in the USA. Producing over 45 commodities year-round, we are committed to being 100% organically grown in California. We ship across the USA and Canada.
We now have an immediate opening for a Quality Control Specialist to join our team in Watsonville, CA
The Quality Control Specialist (Q.C.) is responsible for the quality of all products received /or sold by Lakeside Organic Gardens, LLC (LOG). Candidate must check all aged products in the cold room and report shelf life to the Sales Manager right before they start selling it. Must inspect all products upon arrival at the cooler, anything that doesn’t meet the spec including but not limited to product, packaging, labeling or pallet condition must be reported to Quality Control Manager, Receiving, Sales Manager and Facility Manager.
Skills required for job:
- Must be bilingual/ English and Spanish is desired.
- 2-3 years Q. A. experience, preferably in fresh organic produce.
- Ability to work inside the cooler with a temperature range between 34° - 45° degrees Fahrenheit. And outdoors with a temperature range of 55° - 95°
- The ability to stand for majority of a shift in a cold, wet environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a self starter, ability to work independently. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, vendors, and peers.
- Ability to carry out defined procedures with specific instructions and abilities to learn new duties with minimal repetition.
- Able to lift 50+ pounds above your head frequently. Able to lift loads of up to 70 pounds unassisted.
- Experience with Famous Software is a plus.
- This position requires that the candidate work Monday through Saturday, start time will vary with the season.
- Normal work day is 8 hours at regular pay. Over 8 hours per day is paid at time and one half but must be authorized by the Management
- During the winter season (mid November through mid April) the QC job relocates to Holtville. Housing is provided.
Job Duties and Responsibilities.
- Keep active open communication with Sales, Harvest, Cooler and Operation Manager
- Ensure loads are being accurately received and proper receiving protocol is being followed to maintain proper rotation and through documentation.
- Work with the receiving team, quality control Manager, and harvest to resolve problem arrivals.
- Monitor customer protection requests and report losses
- Walk cooler and inspect any aged, dated and poor quality product in cooler and report to sales, operations manager and harvest manager. Monitor temperatures outside and inside the cold room.
- Take responsibility for any rejected product and manage repack to meet quality standards. Report all food safety concerns. Call for USDA inspection when necessary.
- Monitor the product cold chain and product ice levels.
- Monitor product arrival to cooling times.
- Manage any food safety issues related to harvest, cooling and storing.
- Assist sales by keeping them informed of all product conditions and any problems
- Oversee and assist shipping and receiving in Holtville
- Other duties as assigned.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.