The Category Manager is responsible for negotiating a competitive cost of goods in his or her assigned produce lines, developing and maintaining rapport with growers, shippers, and other vendors, as well as creating logistical efficiencies throughout the supply chain.
The Category Manager is also responsible for keeping the Director of Procurement apprised of all potential issues as they arise.
- Assist in sourcing product, packaging, logistics, and growing sales
- Ensure suppliers meet the quality and design standards for all products
- Exercise sound independent judgment to facilitate efficient, cost saving operations
- Maintain daily contact with customers of various sizes, building relationships, problem solving and assessing their produce needs
- Process paperwork i.e. passing’s, PO, etc.
- Ensure quality and on-time delivery, troubleshoot and provide solutions to logistical concerns
- Source carriers and products to accommodate each client’s needs
- Assist the Logistics Coordinator with the day-to-day challenges that are presented in the transportation industry
- Play a three-dimensional role involving buying, selling and logistical problem solving
- Handle and administer client and company information as needed
- Assist in company growth in sales and procurement initiatives
- Assist the Director of Procurement, as requested
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Abilities and Characteristics
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude, and honesty and integrity to ensure everyone has a great impression of, and experience with, Market Fresh Produce
- Belief in, and support of, the company vision and program
- Superior work ethic
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and prioritize work
- Team oriented
- Ability to travel for company business
- Signed acceptance of the Market Fresh Produce Non-Solicitation and Confidentiality Agreement
- Market Fresh Produce’s receipt, approval, and acceptance of the incumbent’s background check
- Responsible for complying with all compliance regulations applicable to the job description
- Maintain confidentiality of company, vendor, customer, and employee information, without exception, internally and externally
- Adhere to company policies and procedures governing the safety and security of all company employees, property, and assets
- This position does not have any direct reports.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required. A bachelor’s degree in economics, logistics, supply chain management or business administration is highly preferred.
- A minimum of five years of successful procurement experience in the produce industry and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience, or the ability to successfully perform the duties within 90 days of employment is required.
- Ability to utilize QuickBooks and Microsoft Office programs including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Proficiency in operations of standard office equipment such as computer, laptop, printer, copier, scanner, fax machine, cell phone, multi-line phone system and other standard office equipment.
- The ability to type by touch and 10-key by touch is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- A valid driver’s license, as well as an acceptable driving record is required.
- This position does not require any certificates or registrations.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business documents, professional journals, technical procedures, financial reports, and legal documents. Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required to respond to common inquiries or complaints. The ability to effectively present information to employees, vendors, customers, and Market Fresh Produce management is required.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions and decimals; locate routine mathematical errors; compute rate, ratio and percent. Additionally, the successful candidate must the ability to calculate interest, discounts, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Work Environment and Physical Activity
- The work environment and physical activities described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The internal work environment is normally performed in climate controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited; however he or she may be required to work outside, in various weather conditions from time to time. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computer, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of duties. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is in a non-confined office type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will. The position includes driving a company vehicle approximately 10% of the time which includes exposure to the outside weather elements and moving mechanical parts. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc.
- In the course of performing this position, the employee will spend time writing, typing, speaking, listening, lifting up to 50 pounds, driving, carrying, seeing (such as close, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and adjusted focus), sitting, pulling, walking, standing, squatting, kneeling and reaching.
- The employee in this position may operate any or all of the following: automobile, telephone, cellular telephone, copy and fax machines, calculator, scanning equipment, desktop and/or laptop computer and related printers, or other equipment as directed.
- Length of day is unpredictable; long hours, including Saturdays, Sundays, and/or holidays, may be required to accommodate peak periods, and meet deadlines.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
- The individual in this position should have knowledge, education, training, and experience in procurement in the produce industry, or the ability to successfully perform the duties within 90 days of employment. He or she must have well-developed interpersonal skills to deal with employees, vendors, and customers on matters of a confidential or sensitive nature and the ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations.
- He or she must treat people with respect; keep commitments; inspire the trust of others; work ethically and with integrity; uphold organizational values; and accept responsibility for their own actions.
- He or she must have excellent organizational and time management skills to ensure maximum productivity. He or she must be adept at working on multiple concurrent tasks, with constant interruptions, and have the ability to work without supervision while performing duties.
- The ability to work as a team player is required.