The Head of Supply Chain is responsible for the supply of products essential for our company’s operations. He or she will strategize to find the most cost-effective deals and suppliers. The Head of Supply Chain is responsible for discovering the best ways to minimize our procurement expenses, as well as managing their assigned staff. The Head of Supply Chain oversees the Vendor Management Inventory department. Manages the relationship between the customer and the supply chain. The Head of Supply Chain manages the team that analyzes customer’s historic data, marketing and account trends to forecast inventory needs and track correct cross-dock inventory levels with supply partners.
The Head of Supply Chain is also responsible for keeping the VP of Sourcing apprised of all potential issues as they arise.
- Lead and develop all procurement and vendor management inventory staff
- Oversee pricing functions managing gross margins and volumes. Establish a cost matrix for each supply partner including all aspects of cost of goods.
- Work directly with business development team establishing regular communication of Market Fresh Produce cost and secure grower support and pricing on all contracts and RFPs
- Direct and train Vendor Management Inventory staff
- Establish and monitor monthly reports tracking performance across all categories and vendors
- In collaboration with the National Director of Business Development, create a year-round “Hot Buy” or “Spot Buy” strategy for selected national accounts. Seek out and execute ad opportunities.
- Create a geographically based business solution review schedule utilizing designated staff in all regions of service
- Foster open communication within the category management team, empowering each member to meet daily objectives
- Present sourcing department performance data at the monthly management review meetings
- Monitor markets, in conjunction with the MFP category management team, grower partners, and vendors, to establish weekly trends in the market. Create and distribute weekly market update reports.
- Establish a daily “huddle” meeting with assigned staff to communicate, assign and confirm daily objectives
- Exercise independent judgment and facilitate efficient cost savings initiatives and processes
- Search out grower partners to allow MFP to price and attract new programs and new accounts
- Work with marketing to aid in any new product and promotional objectives to promote MFP brand
- Oversee logistics to find improved ways to deliver our products to customers and meet on time requirements
- Direct the on-site inspections at supply partners to ensure MFP specs and SOPs are being followed
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Abilities and Characteristics:
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude, and honesty and integrity to ensure everyone has a great impression of, and experience with, Market Fresh Produce
- Belief in, and support of, the company vision and program
- Superior work ethic
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and prioritize work
- Team oriented
- Ability to travel for company business
- Signed acceptance of the Market Fresh Produce Non-Solicitation and Confidentiality Agreement
- Market Fresh Produce’s receipt, approval and acceptance of the incumbent’s background check
- Responsible for complying with all compliance regulations applicable to the job description
- Maintain confidentiality of company, vendor, customer, and employee information, without exception, internally and externally
- Adhere to company policies and procedures governing the safety and security of all company employees, property, and assets
- The Head of Supply Chain is responsible for the supervision of the Procurement, Category Management, Logistics, and the Vendor Management staff.
- He or she is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these employees including; interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing their work; appraising their performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing their complaints and resolving their problems.
- The Head of Supply Chain is required to treat all employees and applicants consistently and equally, without regard to their race, color, religion, gender, national origin or any other characteristics that are protected under law. The Head of Supply Chain is not allowed to base any employment decisions on these protected characteristics, cannot deny opportunities to an individual because of their characteristics, and cannot retaliate against an employee.
- The Head of Supply Chain is required to treat all employees respectfully and avoid unwanted/unwelcomed behavior that constitutes harassment. The Head of Supply Chain is required to carry out all supervisory duties in full compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required. A college degree in economics, logistics, supply chain management or business administration is highly preferred.
- A minimum of seven years of successful leadership level procurement experience in the fresh fruit/vegetable produce industry and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Candidate must possess a strong connection to the grower and shipper community.
- Ability to utilize QuickBooks and Microsoft Office programs including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook. Proficiency with Famous software is preferred.
- Proficiency in operations of standard office equipment such as computer, laptop, printer, copier, scanner, fax machine, cell phone, multi-line phone system and other standard office equipment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- A valid driver’s license, as well as an acceptable driving record is required.