SUMMARY: Helps ensure the effective management of the department’s essential duties and responsibilities. Monitors food safety alerts, maintains food safety database and assists with recall communications. This position works with the Food Safety Director, other Markon staff, and outside organizations (suppliers, consultants/industry experts and/or regulatory agencies) as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, and other duties as may be assigned:
- Maintains Markon’s food safety audit tracking and database for brand and baseline suppliers. Requests audits as necessary and follows up with suppliers to ensure corrective actions are implemented
- Prepares correspondence related to corrective actions, audit compliance, timelines for required activities, product complaints related to food safety, etc.
- Supports maintenance of supplier Certificates of Liability
- Maintains food safety files and paperwork (supplier contacts, supplier information forms, etc.)
- Ensures proper trace back information is in place for suppliers
- Prepares new supplier packets for prospective suppliers
- Collects initial audit information for potential suppliers
- Supports mock recall execution with Food Safety Coordinator
MEMBER AND CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION:
- Monitors produce related food safety alerts on a regular basis and works with Food Safety Director to execute effective communication of such events (recalls, outbreaks, etc.) to members and customers
- In conjunction with the Food Safety Director and at times, the Markon Crisis team, works to complete product recall activities and assists with crisis management
- Responds to food safety related requests from end customers, including multi-unit accounts and/or regulatory agencies, to maintain Markon compliance with customer requirements
- Supports customer complaint process to ensure concerns are appropriately addressed, investigated and tracked
- Stays engaged with produce food safety best practices and regulatory requirements as they evolve with emerging food safety research to ensure the integrity of Markon’s Food Safety program
- Attends relevant industry meetings and events to represent Markon’s and its members’ interests through engagement with the produce industry
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Any combination of education and experience that provide the skills needed to successfully complete the essential functions; typically through a Bachelor’s degree from a 4 year college or university and 2+ years of Food Safety experience; OR 2 year college degree plus 4 years of produce/food safety experience; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Outlook (heavy email communication, management, tracking & follow-up), Word (mail merge, general formatting) and Excel (database management, tracking, updated, filtering, sorting, not afraid of managing large spreadsheets) and online file sharing with the ability to quickly learn specific software
Ability to respond effectively to basic inquiries from the public, co-workers, and business affiliates via phone and email and to write clear reports, business correspondence (formal emails) and procedures. Spanish is a plus but not required.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and resolve issues independently
and with sound judgment
- Job Expertise – Demonstrates competency in job knowledge and essential responsibilities
- Communication Skills - Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills, as well as listening skills
- Customer Service Skills – Demonstrates tact, courtesy and attention with internal and external contacts
- Judgment & Problem Solving - Decisions and actions are sound, evaluates solutions and selects appropriate courses of action, involving others as necessary
- Planning & Organizing – Develops short and long range goals and uses various tools to enhance personal effectiveness and team success
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Builds an environment that fosters teamwork and positive, supportive cooperation
- Reliability - Consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, professionalism and dependability, ensures work is completed in a timely manner
- Leadership Skills – Models high standards of leadership; willingly exerts extra effort as needed to get the job done, delegates as appropriate, demonstrates ‘big picture” thinking, commitment and flexibility
WORKING CONDITIONS: working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Approximately 95% of the time performing job duties is spent indoors in a standard office environment
- Approximately 80% of the time is spent on the computer and telephone
- Occasionally: bend, twist, push, pull, climb, squat, crawl, kneel
- Frequently: sit, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stand and walk; grasp with hands and fingers; and lift up to 10 pounds.
- Continuously: use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; see (including close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus), hear and speak; key (i.e., computer, calculator, telephone)
Minimal routine travel within close proximity to the regular assigned work location; occasional travel to regional trainings and conferences