From its headquarters in Salinas, Markon Cooperative, Inc. provides fresh produce purchasing, logistics, information and marketing services exclusively to its seven member distributors (Ben E. Keith Foods, Gordon Food Service, Gordon Food Service Canada, Maines Paper & Food Service, Nicholas & Company, Reinhart Foodservice, and Shamrock Foods Company) and their foodservice customers. A leader in food safety, quality control and innovation, Markon is also mindful of the produce industry's impact on people – from field workers to consumers. At Markon, we believe people matter, and we offer a culture that values team work, loyalty, and a commitment to excellence. Learn more about Markon at Markon.com.
We are seeking a Purchasing Coordinator to play a critical support role in the Purchasing Department. The ideal candidate will be eager to gain knowledge and expertise and learn the basics of negotiating skills and processes. This position requires accuracy in a high amount of data entry, excellent communication skills, and the ability to exhibit independence, flexibility, and good judgment to respond to changing priorities. Must be able to work rotating Saturdays.
Competitive hourly pay and benefits package. This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Employer subsidized health, vision and dental insurance effective on the first of the month following hire. PTO accrual and paid holidays from date of hire.
- Supports the work of the Purchasing Department to help meet annual team goals
- Delivers effective vendor support through the accurate processing of passings, confirmations, vendor cost, and pricing files
- Develops product expertise in designated categories over time
- Communicates price sheets to members
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4 year college or university; OR 2 year college degree plus 2 years of produce related experience; OR equivalent combination of education/produce experience
- Strong computer skills, including database entry and ability to learn new programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and customer service skills
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and dependability in a fast paced environment
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, flexibility, enthusiasm and team work