JOB TITLE: GENERAL MANAGER
REPORTS TO: VP OF GLOBAL PARTNERSHIPS & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
LOCATION: LAREDO, TX
Mission Produce is the largest global supplier of the world’s finest avocados. For over 35 years we have invested in people, state-of-the-art technology and avocado-specific infrastructure to expertly serve our customers, growers and partners. Throughout our history we have remained rooted in honesty, respect and loyalty.
Mission Produce owns and operates state-of-the-art avocado packing facilities in multiple global locations including California, Mexico and Peru. In addition, our global distribution network includes 11 forward distribution centers in North America, China and Europe. Over the past 35 years, Mission has become recognized as the leader in the worldwide avocado business.
The General Manager oversees the general management of their respective facility under Mission’s high quality standards and guidelines. Proactively manage the property to ensure that it: produces value in our products and services to our customers; produces a stable, secure, and high quality work environment for all employees; and produces company market value for all stockholders. In addition, this position will be responsible for all aspects in regards to our Laredo packing and distribution facility. These duties include the packing and bagging of fruit, ripening, distribution of imported fruit, 3PL services, and working closely with our maintenance team to ensure the facility is performing at a world class level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The General Manager will be responsible for the following:
All aspects of managing a 260,000 sq. ft. Shipping and Packing facility in Laredo, TX
- Management of over 70 employees for the season which includes assisting in scheduling, food safety, EHS, labor P&L, etc.
- Communication with all departments to ensure efficiency is maintained while providing the highest quality product
Inventory Management and Fruit Utilization
- Control of inventory on a daily basis; ensure accuracy of all inventory, documented quality evaluations of inbound and outbound product, utilization of inventory to ensure highest sales value and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with sales to interface with customers, buyers, and/or receivers on a regular basis to ensure customer satisfaction in their particular region
Value Added Processes (Avocado Ripening Process, Bagging, Specialty Packing):
- Plan, direct, execute, and monitor the ripening process
- Communicate all issues that affect the ripening process
- Plan, direct, execute, and monitor the bagging and special packing processes. Communicate all issues that affect the processes
Assist in the management of our 3PL services
- This will include involvement in negotiations as well as execution of the programs
- Build and maintain an organizational environment which promotes positive staff morale and performance by designing and implementing best practices for the company that results in the best human capital and skills to accomplish the organizational mission
- Develop operations system improvements by analyzing process work flow and space requirements, and equipment layout; implement changes
- Maintain safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations
- Act as the subject matter expert in produce and train staff on produce quality indicators and best practices
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Facilitate a profitable operation that produces safe quality service efficiently
- Perform other duties as requested
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of facility management experience within the Produce Industry, Food or Distribution in a related industry
- Business acumen essential
- Ability to work in temperature controlled environments that can range anywhere from 34 – 42 degrees
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a team to obtain high performance and able to coach, develop, and motivate others within and across the organization
- Rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
- Proven ability to be result focused, metric driven, and translate priorities and actions into measurable results and hold self and others accountable to achieve individual, departmental, and company goals
- Demonstrated ability to remain focused with changing objectives, deadlines, and priorities beyond one’s control
- Excellent problem solving skills with a strong ability to effectively identify problems by framing issues, leveraging data, and developing and implementing solutions
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Willing to travel
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.