Mission Ranches Seed Division is looking for a highly motivated Plant Breeder who has a strong agricultural background and who will be responsible for developing new and competitive leafy vegetable varieties.
As a plant breeder you will be required but not limited to:
- Maintain an accurate and well-organized breeding program. Including inventory of breeder/foundation seed to uphold the integrity of genetic material.
- Evaluate and make selections for desirable plant traits.
- Establish, sow, and evaluate breeding trials in Monterey, San Benito, San Joaquin, Imperial, and Yuma counties.
- Sow, transplant, harvest, and clean breeding seed inside and outside of greenhouse facility.
- Perform crosses/pollinations to incorporate necessary genetic traits into new and existing germplasm.
- Irrigate and water plants in greenhouses, including some weekends.
- Plant maintenance including pruning, trimming, fertilizing, staking, and tying. Monitor for plant diseases, spray pesticides, survey for insects, predatory insect dispersal, and record keeping.
- Provide assistance of stock seed increases.
- May be required to work unusual hours and weekends.
- Perform general maintenance and repairs.
- Must be able to work in the office, fields/greenhouses under some extreme weather conditions, be physically fit to walk, bend, kneel, squat, bend your neck, for long periods of times and lift up to 50 lbs.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Plant Breeding, Plant Science, Botany, or equivalent required.
- 2-3 years of plant breeding experience, but also willing to hire plant breeder assistants/Jr. breeders who are looking for career advancement.
- Attention to small details and multi-task.
- Greenhouse experience desired.
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint preferred).
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the company.
- Communicate and discuss breeding strategies with other breeders to achieve company goals in an effective manner.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) highly desired.
- Competitive Salary
- 401(k) with generous company matching
- Paid time off – vacation and sick leave
- Insurance coverage: Health, Dental, Vision and Life
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.