Ocean Mist Farms is a fourth-generation family owned, privately held, and 100% vertically integrated business headquartered in Castroville, CA. Since Ocean Mist Farms began in 1924, we have been committed to delivering the highest standards in the industry for food safety, product quality, customer service, innovation and sustainability.
The Vice President of Production is responsible for successfully leading and coordinating all production activities of the operation in the geographic areas as assigned. The VP of Production provides the leadership and vision necessary to ensure the company has the highest quality, highest yielding, cost-effective crops produced to meet customer demand and volume requirements.
- Preparation of planting schedules coordinating with marketing and sales. These schedules must be communicated and reviewed with growers well before plant dates.
- Responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of plantings (seed rates, spacing, depth, etc.), cultivating, thinning, hoeing and fertilization.
- Knowledgeable of all farming equipment utilized, in the operation and is able to adjust or accurately reset, as necessary.
- Maintain accurate records of wet dates, varieties, acres and important cultural information for optimum growth and future utilization.
- Walk fields as often as necessary, but no less than once a week, to inspect for cultural conditions, maturity and crop quality.
- Oversee the planting, care and record keeping of variety trials. Evaluate and review the new varieties for improved quality and yields with the Varietal Manager, reporting the findings to the President/CEO, on a routine basis.
- Prepare and review accurate budgets for all growers and crops, comparing actual costs to budgeted costs, with an end of season review.
- Prepare farming agreements with independent growers and interface with sales requirements.
- Monitor labor contractor’s activities for accuracy, timing and efficiency.
- Plan five to ten years into the future, in conjunction with the President/CEO, to secure land for farming needs.
- Coordinate, and be responsible for all compliance with toxic chemical filing requirements. Coordinate and supervise the environmental affairs: personnel.
- Be an effective advocate of the Ocean Mist label and organization by always striving to produce the highest quality, most desirable products while striving to achieve the lowest cost per unit possible.
- Effectively supervise assigned staff.
- Work with growers on optimal crop & block selection.
- Ensure food safety standards are met on the farm.
- In collaboration with CEO, lead land lease negotiations and prospective land purchases.
- Other duties as assigned.
College degree in Plant Sciences, Agriculture Business or related field.
An experienced leader with a minimum of 10 – 15 years of agricultural operations including time as an individual contributor as well as managing diverse operations.
Minimum 5 years of experience as an Operations Manager in an Agricultural Business.
3-5 years employee management experience.
Working knowledge of computers & software as utilized in the Agricultural environment: GroupWise, Windows operating system, Famous software.
Valid California Driver’s license, class C.
Requires continuing education in supervision, safety and other job-related areas.
Superior organizational skills.