Organically Grown Company is a Pacific Northwest distributor of organic produce. We have facilities in Portland, OR, Eugene, OR and Des Moines, WA and service retailers and restaurants in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho and Alaska.
Our mission is to cultivate a diverse, sustainable and engaged organic trade from farm to marketplace. In order to fulfill this mission, we rely on our coworkers who are the best in the business! We’re a group who is passionate about produce and supporting the organic trade, leading to a more sustainable food system.
We are currently looking for a Produce Sales Representative to support our Sales Department. This role requires a significant amount of data entry and time on the phone with customers. Read below for more details!
The Sales Representative is responsible for facilitating the account order process by ensuring accurate and timely data entry of routine orders with accounts. It requires transactional excellence in service of account satisfaction and exceptional customer care. The person in this role must demonstrate OGC values and relationship marketing model by ensuring quality and service expectations are met. Ultimately, an OGC Sales Representative proactively and continuously contributes to account success.
- Accurate and timely processing of account orders via all channels: phone, email and online platforms. Plans and organizes a daily work schedule to service existing customers and may, on occasion, be asked to participate in store-level outreach.
- Maintains a basic understanding of OGC’s products, quality, pack, promotions, substitutions, pricing and services to be able to match products to account needs and increase sales volume. Must understand account needs and preferences, and how best to service each account.
- Maintains familiarity with daily push and upsell items and proactively communicates specials to accounts.
- Ensures all orders are accurately documented and entered into the computer system. Proactively communicates with other departments to ensure orders include all necessary instructions regarding specific products, producers, and prices. Keeps Buyers informed of account requests and projected volume. Monitors all expected orders for the day to ensure they are accounted for.
- Communicates service issues to within the Sales team and to other departments as needed. Supports in resolution of issues, leading to account satisfaction.
- Exemplifies Passion for Produce: Frequently inspects and tastes produce in stock to stay current on quality, pack and other conditions. May go on occasional visits to OGC farm suppliers.
- Processes credit requests, determines reason for loss, and informs Sales Team, Buyers, and Quality Team of quality issues. Provides appropriate follow-up.
- May be asked to be the key relationship contact for accounts as assigned, which may include negotiating pricing and writing promotions. May require travel up to 15% as assigned.
- Proactively engages in development and educational opportunities to further their knowledge of the organic produce trade and OGC sales processes.
- Exemplifies OGCs five core attitudes and behaviors and looks to the best interest of the company protecting company assets.
- Must be flexible and agile in order to support OGC business needs and mission. Perform duties as assigned or needed. May support projects as assigned.
- High school diploma with minimum of two years of experience in commercial produce or Preferred: four-year college degree with minimum one year of commercial produce experience.
- Minimum of one year of data entry experience with strong typing skills; must be able to type at a minimum speed of 35 wpm, 10 key skills preferred.
- Preferred: Minimum of one year of customer service experience in retail or wholesale environment.
- Experience with fresh produce varieties, organic trade, growing practices, sustainability movement or produce merchandizing.
- Excellent customer service skills; basic business, organizational skills, and financial literacy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication including attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Ability to develop strong relationships to gain support and achieve results.
- Basic working knowledge of produce varieties, regions and seasons.
- Manage multiple conflicting priorities, deal with ambiguity, and exemplify process management, while maintaining composure and exercising organizational agility.
- Be self-directed and motivated of self and others. Ability to consistently meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Familiarity with project management or project supporting functions.
- Experience with OGC’s service and marketing policies preferred.
- Experience with OGC’s product labels preferred.
- Previous experience working for an organization with aspirational sustainability goals desired.
- Previous experience working with produce at farm, distribution, or retail levels.