The Transportation Logistics Lead is responsible for efficiently coordinating information and processes associated with the movement of primarily out-of-state inbound freight for OGC, working to optimize service and reduce costs.
This position can be based either out of Portland, OR or Eugene, OR. However, if based in Portland, would require weekly travel to Eugene.
Additionally, this position does require occasional evening on-call hours.
- Facilitates and coordinates all 3PL inbound and outbound freight, including both LTL and full loads.
- Oversees freight scheduling by Purchasing or other departments to ensure alignment with expectations.
- Communicates cross departmentally to obtain information needed to make informed decisions on 3PL inbound and outbound loads.
- Manages the third party carrier relationships. This includes scheduling and managing carrier review meetings, maintaining carrier documentation, establishing lane commitments, and sourcing additional carriers as needed.
- Responsible for negotiating spot pricing when applicable.
- Develops and maintains a system database with carrier/origin profiles and carrier agreements to track and analyze carrier performance.
- Reviews lanes and carrier pricing to establish OGC’s costs and position in the market and evaluate carrier alternatives.
- Reviews and audits carrier billing, approves and sends to Accounts Payable for processing.
- Oversees OGC freight consolidation program and owns relationships with assigned consolidation providers.
- Assists in developing and maintaining a 24/7 logistics coverage plan for OGC, ensuring after-hours, vacation and weekends are adequately covered.
- Replenishment purchase produce commodities as assigned to maximize the use of inbound load space and weight capacities.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining process documentation (SOP’s) for the logistics team.
- Actively seeking out areas for improvement and facilitating Continuous Improvement (CI) process as requested to resolve problems and improve product and service quality.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the technology and tools utilized within the department and be able to train and lead the team in the use of these.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of and compliance with OGC workplace safety rules and policies. This includes proper reporting of all accidents.
- Exemplifies Passion for Produce: Frequently inspects and tastes produce in stock to stay current on quality, pack and other conditions. Makes occasional visits to OGC’s farm suppliers.
- Must be flexible and agile in order to support OGC business needs and mission. Perform duties as assigned or needed. May take on projects and/or be assigned as key contact for assigned accounts.
This position requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, hear and converse over the telephone and in person, key data efficiently and accurately frequently on a computer. Requires ability to accurately receive and disseminate information to maintain and enhance relationships. Ability to meet above description of position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Two years of college preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of logistics or supply chain experience in wholesale distribution and/or warehouse environments, demonstrating progressively increasing responsibilities. Strongly prefer experience with produce or fresh product(s) distribution.
- Prior experience with a Transportation Management System required, preferably in Blue Jay system. Experience with Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) and/or Enterprise Resource Programs (ERP) a plus.
- Prior experience working and complying with retail and vendor landscapes, routing, backhaul opportunities, truck safety & DOT compliance, cold chain custody, product line, and seasonality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and a proven ability to work effectively with individuals across an organization.
- Demonstrated success at managing details while undertaking multiple tasks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Proven ability to learn additional software programs
- Previous experience working with produce at farm, distribution, or retail levels.
- Knowledge of sustainable business practices preferred.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the OGC product lines, post-harvest handling, seasonal dynamics, etc.
- Ability to adhere to a set schedule, and ability to be flexible with scheduling changes as they arise.
- Knowledge of produce handling and food safety requirements including GFSI & GMP.