Peddlers Son is a well-established Produce and Provisions Distributor serving the State of Arizona. We’re looking for a motivated and energetic Produce Buyer to join our team. If you're experienced and ready to step into this position, we would love to hear from you.
The primary role of this position is the replenishment of produce for resale to both retail and food service customers. In addition, this position handles the negotiation of costs, sourcing, vendor selection and meeting of budgeted financial expectations.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Analyze and monitor sales records, trends, weather/seasons and economic conditions to anticipate consumer-buying patterns and determine what the company will sell and how much inventory is needed.
- Must have knowledge of produce specific information such as growing seasons, inflation / deflation cycles, inventory experience, and knowledge of pricing.
- Establish and adjust selling prices by monitoring costs, competitive factors and supply and demand while also working with sales staff to obtain information about customer specific needs and preferences.
- Examine, select, order and purchase products at the most favorable price consistent with quality, quantity, specification requirements and other established factors.
- Responsible for the management of perishable inventory purchased by daily review of item usage, sales, inventory adjustments, and the creation of purchase orders to replenish inventory.
- Compile weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly usage/profit reports for review and budget compliance on a same schedule basis.
- Work in conjunction with senior management on any additional projects or needs.
- Minimum 3-5 years of Purchasing experience in Produce.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent computer skills, able to work with software such as Microsoft Office, and inventory/ordering software
- Extensive produce product knowledge, including production, distribution, seasonal availability, advances, and trends.
- Working knowledge of logistics and freighting.
- Understanding of seasonal growing areas regarding all commodities.
- Familiarity and/or willingness to learn about products, nutritional information, and other areas of study.
- Working knowledge and application of all produce-related merchandising expectations.
- Demonstrates a desire to grow with the Produce team.
- Ability to educate team on product knowledge and convey enthusiasm.
- Strong basic math skills.
- Knowledge and ability to use computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and ordering systems
- Strong to excellent communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Ability to deliver information in a clear and respectable manner to fellow Team Members, customers, and vendors.
- Ability to meet customer service expectations and standards in all interactions with customers, vendors, and Team Members.
- Ability to follow directions and procedures; effective time management and organization skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.