Pismo Oceano Vegetable Exchange is looking for a self- motivated and organized individual to lead our food safety programs. The Food Safety Manager is responsible for upholding, evolving, and improving current food safety programs. Key responsibilities include developing and maintaining a system to assure that food safety programs adhere to Federal, State, and Customer requirements. Responsible for maintaining and implementing regulatory food safety compliance programs, training, and driving a strong food safety culture throughout the company. Proficient bi-lingual skills (Spanish/English) – reading, writing, and speaking preferred. This is a full-time position located in Oceano, CA.
Qualifications & Requirements
Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully preform the job’s essential duties and responsibilities.
- Must be well organized, a self-starter, with the ability to take initiative to solve issues as they arise and follow-through in a timely manner. Be able to make sound independent decisions based on available data.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written. Possess the ability to work with a variety of personalities in an effective manner.
- Possess the ability to multitask and prioritize in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Technical competence with food safety and quality assurance tests and checks.
- Minimum three years’ experience in the food safety field.
- Agricultural experience in production & facility processes preferred.
- Ability to follow and give direction.
- Bilingual – Spanish / English preferred
Desired Food Safety Certifications
Certifications below are necessary for the fulfillment of job role. Preexisting certification is preferred with any shortcomings to be addressed as part of employee onboarding/training.
- PSR (Produce Safety Rule)
- HACCP ( Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points)
- PCQI (Preventative Controls Qualified Individual)
- GMP (Certifications related to GMP processes)
- GAP (Certifications related to GAP processes)
- Train the Trainer
- Cleaning & Sanitation
Compliance, Policy Administration & Documentation
- Develops inspection policies and establishes regular inspection schedules.
- Responsible for and oversees all day-to-day GAP, GMP, HACCP programs.
- Verify consistency and accuracy of all documents and validate structure of programs
- Manage consumer complaint program, identify, and perform root cause analysis, perform corrective actions as necessary, and complete all related documentation.
- Develop, implement, and enforce food safety standards, policies and programs including, FSMA, LGMA, GFSI, Global Gap, and Customer audits.
- Verify that all products shipped into distribution meet all food safety requirements.
- Provide all necessary documentation to Customers as requested.
- Ensure that all Maintenance, Sanitation, and Chemical Control activities are conducted in accordance with all regulations and policies.
- Leads all food safety trainings to further continuous improvement of all programs.
- Manage all food safety compliance documentation.
- Coordinate all sampling programs and verifies all test results to current standards.
- Coordinate and lead HACCP team and food safety committees.
- Lead all regulatory, third party, and customer audits as well as corrective action responses.
- Allocate appropriate time to GMP & GAP processes.
Administration & Operations
- Meet with vendors, customers, quality representatives and company personnel to discuss and resolve quality and safety issues as required.
- Maintains accurate food safety file documentation.
- Coordinate and conduct Safety Committee meetings.
- Schedules and coordinates food safety training programs as required.
- Respond and follow through with customer complaints.
- Monitor professional literature and attend seminars to stay current with governmental compliance requirements.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.