We are a fast paced, fast-growing leader in our industry. Providing quality produce to our Customers within the South Florida Market and growing to Northern Markets. Premier provides a Fantastic Benefit Package for all its team members to include Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K and Vacation time based on length of service. Come join a growing company and be a part of the Best of Premier.
The Produce Buyer is responsible for product replenishment and loss avoidance; knowing the shelf life of each product lines and review reports to know expiration dates to avoid spoilage; aligned with scorecard (weekly)—spoilage, service level, inventory on hand/reserve, cases per pallet, PO costs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Below are listed the duties and responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Daily review of product movement forecasts based on seasonality, market trends, and probability of anticipated sales.
- Maintain ordering of various product lines from numerous vendors on a daily basis.
- Purchase products within Premier Produce standards to maintain a certain number of turns per year at the best possible price for the best possible product.
- Verify quantity and quality of stock received from vendors.
- Request refunds from vendors to compensate for losses incurred with "dumped and damaged" product.
- Discontinue and return products to vendors that do not sell.
- Maintain a 99.5% or higher service level to our customers.
- Expedite delivery of product by communicating with buyers, vendors and transportation companies.
- Verify inventory status and delivery schedules.
- Source and maintain freight rates.
- Successfully resolve problems with delivery, supply, invoicing, rejections, etc.
- Verify pricing via matching purchase orders to vendor invoice.
- Assist sales force with questions concerning product specifications and additions/deletions to inventory product lines.
- Manage a variety of product lines through inventory turns, excess and obsolete inventory positions.
- Ensure a quality product by keeping existing inventory within proper expiration codes.
- Take steps to reduce dead inventory according to department policy, requesting vendor rebates, return product to vendor, and remind sales reps of their original forecast.
- Review quality concerns on perishable overstock inventory and recommend plan for disposition of product.
- Maintain Daily Inventory status and usage. Create weekly hot sheets to aid in the sale of short, dated products. Keep excessive inventory to a minimum. Monitor dead inventory. Negotiate simple deals, recommending terms and conditions for contracts that will be written by more senior purchasing personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a drug test
- Must have a High School education or GED
- 2+ years of experience as a buyer
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be comfortable walking the coolers daily to check your inventory
- Must be able to safely work in extreme cold environment.
- Must be able to safely be exposed to loud, constant noise.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.