Rancho Guadalupe LLC is a family-owned grower of fresh produce, based in the Santa Maria Valley. For over 25 years we have striven to produce the highest quality product to our customers by following our Mission Statement.
“We will inspire and challenge one another with new ideas - in a spirit of cooperation - to promote safety and take care of our land and other resources while achieving excellence in growing”.
We have an immediate opening for a Safety Coordinator to join our team in Santa Maria, CA.
The Safety Coordinator is responsible for the continuous overall coordination and implementation of health and safety programs to ensure compliance with regulatory agency guidelines and policies, but most importantly, to ensure employee safety. This is done by developing, implementing, monitoring and enforcing policies and standard operating procedures to ensure compliance at all levels within the company. Duties under this position are performed with considerable technical independence in coordination with the Food Safety Coordinator and with guidance from the Compliance Director.
This position requires a high level of comfort working outdoors with exposure to the elements such as sun, wind, dust and rain. While there is considerable office work, employee is expected to personally monitor and document many agricultural activities relating to growing and harvesting operations as well as industrial shop activities.
- Develop, implement and maintain an Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) in accordance with industry standards. This includes Heat Illness Prevention, Hazardous Materials and Respiratory Protection programs.
- Interface with regulatory agencies, auditors, customers and providers to formulate compliance policies and or preventive/corrective actions.
- Develop and implement accident investigation, data analysis, and recurrence prevention programs and procedures.
- Conduct spot checks, reviews and audits of operations, facilities and equipment to provide advice and recommendations to maintain a safety environment.
- Develop and implement an ongoing training program that includes all training pertaining to our operations at all levels of employees as required by regulatory agencies including initial designation, annual training and tailgate meetings.
- Administer company health and safety programs including first aid kits, fire extinguishers, evacuation plans, personal protection equipment, Workers Comp, first aid response and medical transportation.
- Oversee health and safety policies and procedures to ensure all Company provisions are being met.
- Manage our workers compensation program including maintaining contact with our insurance carrier and reporting to proper agencies.
- Develop, implement and manage our company safety incentive program.
- Work jointly and collaboratively with operations, including managers and supervisors to improve operational efficiencies and reduce health and safety related costs.
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to employees, supervisors and managers on safety initiatives and necessary changes for short and long-term strategic safety planning and development.
- Direct implementation of strategies to effectively resolve human, health and safety issues and to create a general culture of Safety throughout the company.
- Employee will be required to drive locally between ranches, stand and walk in rough, uneven, sometimes muddy terrain.
- May also need to perform office work which requires prolonged periods of sitting and working on a computer, climbing stairs and other typical office duties.
- Must be able to occasionally lift or move items up to 50 lbs.
- Travel is primarily local during business hours, although some out of area and overnight travel may also occasionally be required.
- Job requirement by being careful about detail and being thorough in completing work tasks.
- Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Working alongside others, and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Safety and Hygiene or related business field, and/or 3-5 years of experience working in a safety and/or supervisory role.
- Agricultural experience preferred.
- Possess a valid class C driver license in California and be insurable by company carrier.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Cal/OSHA regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of general agriculture safety regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, critical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated adult interaction and teaching skills.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations in the agricultural industry.
- Working knowledge of general agricultural growing, shop and transportation practices.
- Highly developed interpersonal and observational skills.
- Highly professional personal and work ethics and level of integrity.
- Proficient computer knowledge, experience with MS Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, and Powerpoint.
- Ability to understand complex and ever-changing laws and regulations and apply it to company operations as needed.