Ritter Agribusiness, a 5th generation leading Ag company, has been building their businesses since 1886. Their core values are at the heart of everything they do. They believe in family, teamwork, stewardship, philanthropy, and open honest communication.
The company is adding a vertically integrated berry division to their family of businesses. As they focus on developing their program as a grower-shipper, they are looking for a strategic thinker, and doer, to join them as Director of Sales and Marketing. This role will require considerable multitasking abilities and an entrepreneurial spirit.
As Director of Sales and Marketing you will be challenged to build a program with retail, food service and wholesale companies with an East Coast focus. All the while you’ll be developing the infrastructure and assets to grow and develop the program. You will also put together a program that includes developing and managing customers, helping to develop their product line, branding, packaging, departmental infrastructure, sales and marketing proposals, setting up logistics, and eventually building and mentoring a new sales team as growth dictates. This position will work out of the Marked Tree, AR corporate headquarters, and will report directly to the president.
This is an opportunity to join a family-oriented company and build a new program. You will be expected to put together a strategic plan with operations and the leadership team, develop contracts and determine a go to market strategy. This is your chance to build a business within a business. All the fun and excitement of a startup, without the looming risk of running out of capital.
We encourage you to explore Marked Tree Arkansas. Look at where it’s located, if you want the urban life of a cool city, live in Memphis. If you’d rather live in a small town or in the country, there are plenty of great small and medium sized communities within driving distance of the office. You can live and drive in any of three states too - Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi. Neighborhoods, schools, cultures and lifestyles match just about anyone’s desires. And the cost of living is awesome!
A competitive compensation and benefits package and room for professional growth is offered.
- Establish and maintain customer relationships in the retail, wholesale and foodservice segments of the fresh produce industry
- Design and implement a strategic sales plan that expands the company's customer base and ensures a strong market presence in retail and foodservice
- Formulate innovative marketing and logistics strategies to optimize sales growth with each customer
- Establish and build strong work relationships with all team members to ensure the successful and repeat delivery of services to customer accounts
- Provide customer/client feedback to Production Management, Sales Management, and other departments regarding product specifications and expectations
- Negotiate, setup and manage freight contracts
- Develop and manage daily transportation needs including booking trucks, managing delivered sales, shopping and negotiating freight rates, problem solving, communicating with drivers and dispatchers
- Responsible for communicating harvest and packing goals in accordance with demand and operation
- Present sales revenue and realistic forecasts to the management team, including weekly updates through meetings and reports based on insights from the sales team
- Plan and achieve annual growth in account penetration through gross profit dollars and gross profit percentage
- Responsible for drafting budget for sales that allows for proper development of new business
- Develop pricing strategies, balancing firm objectives and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with brand management and operations to ensure continued on-target development of product portfolio
- Create a “Team” environment by utilizing open and honest communication, continuous feedback loops, recognition for a job well done as well as to opportunities for improvement and tracking team metrics
- Provide input in the design and artwork of packaging and marketing materials to help assure team is on target in meeting customers’ expectations
- Performs other duties as required by the President
- A minimum of 8+ years of retail account & category management experience, with a proven track record of success
- 5+ years of experience in leading a sales team, marketing, logistics, and administering contracts within the produce industry
- Experience in logistics, full load and LTL transportation
- Knowledge of selling and marketing fresh produce and/or value-added produce products (experience with berries is highly preferred)
- Proven experience with product positioning and market opportunity assessment
- Experience hiring and forecasting for team expansion. Strong interpersonal skills
- Direct sales success and proven track record closing deals in line with revenue expectations
- Computer proficiency required: complete familiarity with all Microsoft Office applications, experience, inventory and order fulfillment software plus a readiness to learn new customized software and systems
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Able to travel up to 20% for customer visits and conferences