Supervises and coordinates the follow up on purchasing activities by performing the following duties personally or by delegating the duties to other purchasing staffing members under the direction of the Procurement Manager.
- Perform weekly counts and monthly full counts on assigned materials and audit for accuracy
- Develop tools in Excel and/or other programs to evaluate average weekly usage and inventory levels based on lead times – to be adjusted quarterly
- Analyze assigned material needs in regard to need vs cash flow and prepare/present data to manager and executive team for review.
- Project assigned material needs based on average monthly usage, sales forecasts, and weekly inventories
- Issue purchase orders to maintain minimum required inventory of assigned materials.
- Resolve issues of timely delivery, quality, pricing and invoicing of assigned materials with vendors by coordinating with internal shipping/receiving, quality control, production, and accounting departments
- Assist internal Marketing & Sales department in research and development of packaging materials for new products and product redesigns
- Perform contract negotiations for assigned materials under advisement of procurement manager
- Establish good relationships with vendors by setting clear expectations and monitor/log their performance against metrics such as on-time delivery, quality, and customer service.
- Acknowledge and respond promptly to requests for information from other internal company departments (internal customers)
- Become a subject matter expert on assigned materials: knowledge of material characteristics, possibilities and limitations, market trends, innovations, potential and actual problems.
- Act as primary department contact when Procurement Manger is absent.
- Perform project management within the department and act as a liason to other company departments within the scope of managing expectations of timelines and lead times
- Embrace a continuous improvement mindset –seek methods to perform more efficiently and reduce cost
- Seek new suppliers and determine if they meet specified requirements;
- Negotiates the lowest possible cost balanced against the optimum quality and schedule needs;
- Coordinate dumps & returns of defective materials and perform paperwork to request for.
- Manage assigned material storage and organization by coordinating with materials handler.
- Reduce dump and waste costs during art transitions and product modifications by coordinating run out dates with internal departments and placing bridge orders
- Solicit inventory needs from other internal departments
- Maintain product specifications spreadsheet for internal company use
- Request vendor specification forms to meet quality control audit requirements
No direct supervisory responsibilities. Will take the lead in the Procurement Manager’s absence when it comes to experience with vendor and material management.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: MS Outlook Communication Management software; MS Word (Word Processing) software; Internet Usage; and PC and/or MAC and Windows Usage experience required; MS Excel Spreadsheet software at an intermediate level.
Certifications, Licenses, and Registrations
- Valid State Driver s License required. Certified Forklift Driver highly desirable.
Other skills and abilities
- Data entry skills, Negotiation skills.
- May occasionally be asked to run local errands.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; regularly required to walk and sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and is frequently required to stand and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to working near moving parts; fumes/airborne particles; outdoor weather conditions; risk of electrical shock; or vibration. The noise level in the work environment is a combination of a quiet, office environment and a production facility where the noise is usually moderate to loud.
- A. A. Degree from two-year college or technical school preferred; and over 1 year up to and including 3 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.