Located in Southeastern Minnesota, along the beautiful and majestic bluffs and valleys of the Mississippi river, Southwind Orchards has grown to be one of the premier apple orchards in Minnesota. With125 plus acres of apple trees currently planted, and room for expansion as a vertically integrated grower, packer, and shipper.
We are currently searching for a passionate, high-energy horticulturist to act as our Apple Orchard Operations Manager.
This is either a seasonal or year-round position. Salary negotiable which may include on-site housing and other benefits.
- Oversee the daily and seasonal production tasks for our trees: planting, pruning, training, mowing, spraying, cultivating, harvest, packing etc.
- Hands-on supervision of crews of up to 20 plus year-round and seasonal employees including training, scheduling, work plan development etc.
- Regular scouting assistance for pests, diseases and monitoring of plant health to develop pest and nutrient management plans.
- Budgeting and oversight of production-related expenses including inventory management and purchasing of supplies, packaging materials, and tools.
- Operation of tractors, irrigation pumps, and various farm machinery, including application of organic and non-organic crop protectants with an orchard sprayer.
- Assist in helping the many visitors the farm retail market receives.
- Maintain detailed records for internal purposes as well as for the farm’s certifications (eco-apple and organic).
- Formal education in pomology or a closely related field.
- Have hands-on experience with field operations, entomology and chemical applications.
- Excellent labor management skills.
- Experience in product marketing.
- Knowledge of agriculture economics.
- Bilingual communications skills in English & Spanish a bonus.
- Computer Skills.
- Optimistic “People Person”