St. Mary's Food Bank is currently seeking a Produce Buyer. Applicants for this produce buyer position must have extensive knowledge regarding procuring both conventional and organic fruits and vegetables, as well as shelf stable items.
The applicant will negotiate with several vendors, securing the most favorable cost of goods for product that is consistent with established quality standards. Qualified individuals will have 5 years of wholesale buying experience and quality assurance understanding.
- Responsible for purchasing shelf stable goods, and other items as needed.
- Must be able to work effectively with vendors, suppliers and growers, building mutually beneficial relationships.
- Must be able to forecast and maintain inventory balances. Strong mathematical and analytical skills are required.
- Communication skills are required with logistics, sales, accounting, and senior management to keep all necessary departments informed.
- Must be well informed about industry trends. Applicant will need to become established as the person to go to with new and innovative items.
- Customer service skills are essential, as is proficiency in Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Candidate must have good mathematical and analytical skills. Must also be able to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, set priorities, and meet timelines. Strong organizational skills are required.
- Must negotiate with third party logistics companies to secure freight for products they purchase when necessary.
- Must have extensive knowledge related to produce quality, and be able to identify indicators of bad produce, or produce near spoilage.
fresh produce buying: 5 years (Required)
Quality Assurance background: 3 years (Desired)
wholesale produce procurement: 5 years (Required)