JOB SUMMARY: The water data management specialist will be responsible for assisting the water resource manager in organizing and maintaining water resources data and GIS-related operations such as: creating maps, web/mobile applications, dashboards/reports, and associated geodatabases; performing ad hoc spatial analysis; integrating related databases; and be responsible for the maintenance and administration of the Company’s GIS water resources data and related services for water resources.
REPORTING RELTIONSHIP: The water data management specialist will directly report to and work under the supervision and direction of the Company’s water resource manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting data analysis on water usage, supply availability, and conveyance system limitations for internal uses, lender communications, and acquisition research;
- Updating the Company’s water asset and use database;
- Ensure water supply data for various ranches is up to date and accurate, including considerations of supply, policy, regulatory, and physical factors;
- Develop and administer methods of displaying data, including dashboards and reports;
- Work with management to review and enhance current GIS resources, including geodatabases, ArcGIS Desktop maps/tables, ArcGIS Online maps/applications, and Esri mobile applications;
- Develop and administer ArcGIS Desktop resources, including project-specific maps, standard maps created with Data Driven Pages, and standard tables created with Production Mapping;
- Develop and administer ArcGIS Online resources, including web maps, web applications, and data/maps to support mobile applications;
- Develop and administer Esri mobile applications, including Explorer for ArcGIS, Collector for ArcGIS, and Survey 123. Work with the water resources manager to create new applications that meet specific needs;
- Expand current geodatabases through the identification of publically-available data and processing of raw data in Microsoft Excel or Access;
- Ensure data integrity throughout all GIS resources, including data collection (e.g., Collector, Survey 123), data storage (e.g., geodatabases, ArcGIS Online), and data usage (e.g., Desktop, web applications, Explorer);
- Coordinate with other departments to integrate databases and ensure integrity of all related data. To the greatest extent possible, provide for a direct link between GIS outputs (e.g., Desktop, web applications, Explorer), and non-GIS data inputs (e.g., Access databases); and,
- All other tasks, projects, duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the Company and its water resource manager.
- Experience with data management, GIS administration and analysis;
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental resources, water resources, computer science, or agricultural field of study, or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated ability to learn new software and functionalities quickly and efficiently; and,
- Advanced computer skills including the Microsoft Office suite with heavy emphasis in Excel and ARC-GIS.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIIES:
- Advanced skill in ArcGIS Desktop;
- Intermediate skill in ArcGIS Online and the ability to learn quickly and efficiently;
- Proficiency in Esri mobile applications or the ability to learn quickly and efficiently;
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft Excel;
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft Access (preferred);
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, VB Script, and other programming languages (preferred);
- Attention to detail and a deep understanding of methods to ensure data integrity;
- Effective reporting and communication skills; and
- Ability to prioritize, adapt and multi-task in a fast paced, changing environment.
Competitive pay and benefits offered.