The Area Manager will play a key leadership role in driving Suterra’s continued sales growth and dominant industry leadership position in North America. This is a general management position responsible for a significant portion of company revenue, as well as driving new product adoption and grower service across the wide variety of crops and regions that Suterra currently serves.
This person will manage a team of territory managers and grower support experts and interface extensively with Suterra’s product development, marketing and technical teams. He or she will also work closely with the Suterra Executive Team, as well as executives at other Wonderful Company businesses, to shape the company’s market-facing priorities and overall strategy.
The role is based in California, where the majority of the current commercial team is located. However, Suterra’s rapid growth trajectory, expansion and innovation pipeline offers this person the opportunity for significant professional growth and upward mobility as the role expands over time.
The successful candidate must bring energy and enthusiasm for building and developing a world-class team. He or she will also have a passion for making a difference for the environment and people around the world, as embodied in the values of Suterra and the Wonderful Company.
- Setting aggressive targets for growth, new product introductions and grower satisfaction and delivering against them through superior execution and teamwork.
- Crafting compelling value propositions and effectively communicate this to team members for consistent messaging across Suterra.
- Interacting with growers, suppliers and stakeholders along the food production supply chain.
- Building relationships with senior executives in a variety of industries (growers, distributors, manufacturers and suppliers).
- Taking the lead and initiative in understanding overall category and competitive trends.
- Effectively networking and taking industry leadership roles on industry boards, associations and commissions where feasible.
- Working closely with cross-functional teams across the broader business. Ensuring that the senior leaders of Suterra have the tools to see and act on the impact of market trends in their areas.
- Effectively managing a team of account managers and technical experts who are broadly scattered across large distances and multiple time zones.
- Recruiting, developing and managing a world-class team.
The successful candidate will have relevant industry expertise and broad business perspective. He or she will have the gravitas to engage with senior executives and drive innovative business development conversations.
- 15+ years business experience in agriculture, food production, chemicals, or related B2B industries with a technical focus.
- BA degree in Crop Science, Chemistry, Pathology, Agriculture or related field; advanced education desirable, but not necessary.
- Proven track record of revenue growth.
- Proven track record of business development success, with new products and/or deal structures.
- Team player and ability to problem-solve customer needs that impact different functions.
- Experience building, managing and mentoring a sales and service team.
- Must be able to travel for a significant % of his or her time (primarily in CA to begin, but also to OR, WA, East Coast USA and foreign countries on occasion).
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.
The home location for this role is in central California, within driving distance of the current territory managers and support team. Suterra’s corporate HQ is located in Bend, Oregon.