At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
This position resides within Salinas, CA and has a contributory service and financial impact to the Sysco Merchandising and Supply Chain Services (SMS) entities. Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Carrier Development – Produce, the Carrier Development Manager (CDM) – Produce is an individual contributor and will lead key business projects while serving as a key change agent and/or resource to help drive high-performance in terms of service level and cost for all inbound produce merchandise into the Sysco network.
You will be responsible for the efficient procurement practices of transportation services supporting produce loads in Sysco’s North American Broadline & Specialty Companies.
- Sourcing (RFP) & Carrier Selection activities for all modes (e.g., Truckload) utilizing Sysco Uniform System (SUS – inventory management application) and Transportation Management System (TMS) with analytical support from the Global Logistics Center of Excellence (GL CoE) team.
- Carrier Negotiation of line-haul rates, accessorial and fuel costs along with ensuring accurate TMS system Rating & Routing Guides and executing Schedule A (pricing agreements) for both dry and temperature controlled loads.
- Carrier Relationship Management of carrier base through monitoring performance results and building partnerships with key carriers while also organizing routine performance reviews, publishing carrier scorecards and driving process improvement activities.
- Identifies optimization opportunities for increased carrier capacity, load sharing, mode conversion, etc. to increase capacity and financial savings.
- Collaborate with Merchandising Produce team for procurement improvements to increase supplier conversions, load-fill improvements, etc. Partners with suppliers and carriers for improved driver experience, increased efficiency, and service to key stakeholders.
- Developing cost effective, and high service performing carrier capacity for produce loads sourced in the U.S. and Canada inbound to Sysco’s North American Broadline & Specialty Companies – negotiating rates, ensure capacity to support Merchandizing Produce team in Salinas, CA.
- Identify gaps in carrier lane coverage, partnering with strategic & core carriers to ensure service performance standards are met for produce loads.
- Negotiate with carriers on rates when required to mitigate cost increases and/or improve service performance.
- Work with carriers to increase load tender acceptance levels including mode conversions opportunities, number of stops, reduce driver dwell time, etc.
- Assist in the national, and/or regional sourcing (RFP) activities. Support the entire process from sourcing (RFP) strategy to final carrier award.
- Negative Recovery – communicate, follow up and report all negative produce loads to Operating Company (OpCo) Buyers.
- Identify load-fill improvement opportunities and work with Merchandising Produce team to solidify actions to drive financial benefits.
- Develop cost savings initiatives through business case work partnering with the GL CoE and Merchandising Produce team.
- Improve both carrier service performance & cost impacts through load frequency reviews, load share opportunities, and mode changes.
- Support the Sr. Carrier Development Manager – Produce with ad hoc requests, developing & presenting Market Reviews.
- Work with transportation invoicing and audit department to resolve carrier issues with regard to payment and rates.
- Be a liaison regarding produce claims for carriers, Sysco Merchandising and Supply Chain Services (SMS), OpCo and Supplier when necessary.
- Market Intelligence – Share analysis and understanding of current carrier market conditions with Merchandising Produce team and Produce Marketing Directors (PMD), provided by GL CoE.
- Responsible for ensuring Rating and Routing Guide Compliance, following Lane Rate Approval process, and data integrity specific to Produce within TMS.
- Enforce Sysco Carrier Operational Guidelines.
- Share analysis and optimization opportunities with Merchandising Produce team and PMD, provided by GL CoE.
- Supplier Conversions – work with GL CoE to convert delivered produce supplier to FOB utilizing TMS creating cost savings resulting in increased Logistics Earned Income (LEI).
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in the transportation industry.
- Produce transportation procurement with supplier, distributor, or shipper.
- Strong understanding of the food industry to include frozen, cooler and dry load.
- Sysco logistics experience is a plus.
- Strong understanding of the food industry specifically produce.
- Working knowledge of US DOT regulations.
- Negotiating skills and experience working with project management metrics.
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle issues quickly and communicate effectively.
- Able to present data to upper management, suppliers, customers and peers.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft word, excel, power point and access.
- Knowledge of EDW and Manhattan TMS a plus.
- PMO Certificate from the Project Management Institute, or equivalent in industry and/or process management certifications from APICS, PMI, ASQ, and/or CSCMP preferred.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.