Upward Farms designs and operates complete ecosystems of plants and fish in vertical farms, supplying these organic products to local grocers. We are expanding to a new cutting edge, fully automated facility in Brooklyn, with production beginning at the end of 2020. More and larger farms are in the works. Our mission is to heal the broken food system and reconnect eaters with flavorful and nutritious local food.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Senior Engineer for Food Processing and Packaging.
In this role, you will work closely with the CTO and Engineering Director, as well as colleagues from across Engineering, R&D, Operations, and Quality Assurance. You will lead the iterative improvement of Upward Farms’ leafy green process manufacturing line from seed to cut to wash to pack. The product our farmers grow is healthy, flavorful and nutritious; the Food Manufacturing Engineer will be in charge of keeping it that way for our customers.
Your objective is to continually develop and deliver a state of the art automated food manufacturing line for our new farms. You will learn from and collaborate with our Operations team; own the selection of each discrete process; develop manufacturing analyses; manage equipment bidding processes; write FAT and SAT documentation; and work with our Construction team to procure and integrate the equipment into new farms.
Success in this role will be measured through increased safety, shelf life, appearance, and other quality metrics; increased throughput of salable yield; and improved capital efficiency, balancing labor costs, equipment capital expenditures, and other metrics such as uptime. The ultimate responsibilities and contributions of this person will be shaped around the individual we hire and their background. There is tremendous room for growth at our company.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- 5+ years experience in produce processing, automated agriculture, or CPG / food manufacturing.
- Bachelors in engineering or related field.
- Experience with GMP standards.
- Strong, self-determined work ethic.
- Excellent listening, clear and concise oral and written communication. Question-driven, curious, open minded.
- Experience with salad or produce processing, particularly packaging operations preferred.
- Experience with ready-to-eat or perishable goods preferred.
- Experience with ERP and MRP systems preferred.
We offer a dynamic work environment and benefits that include:
- Aetna Medical, Aetna and MetLife Dental, and Aetna Vision insurance;
- FSA/HSA plans; and HIPAA-compliant health advocates.
- Upward Farms contributes 78-100% of the premium for Medical benefits for employees and their families.
- Unlimited paid sick time. For extended illness, we offer short term disability.
- Up to 20 days paid time off per year, depending on experience, in addition to paid holidays.
- For new parents, an extension of New York State’s paid family leave for up to 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave. This leave is in addition to Disability leave available to pregnant and postpartum mothers.
- Commuter benefits, discounted gym memberships, and other perks.
- Fresh salad, and lots of it!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.