Thank you for your interest in Valley Fruit & Produce. Valley was established in 1920 and continues to be family-owned and run and has thrived since its inception by holding true to its core values of integrity, respect and passion for continuous improvement.
Valley is currently seeking a Produce Inspection Supervisor to join our team. . This position is responsible grading inbound fresh fruits and vegetables according to USDA produce inspection guidelines. In this role, the Produce Inspection Supervisor will make independent fiduciary decisions to reject or receive product based on grade and condition. These decisions legally bind the company to fiduciary responsibility for payment.
- Ability to use USDA and customer specifications to grade product for quality and condition across all produce commodities.
- For non-graded commodities, must be able to accurately identify the condition of each commodity.
- Validate product temperature based on commodity requirements.
- Ability to properly calibrate and use quality assessment devices including, but not limited to, penetrometer, refractometer, various produce sizers, scales, calipers, and thermometers.
- Ability to assess shelf life based on condition of inbound product
- Identify product not fit for sale and identify by condition code to dump or donate
- Complete daily dump and damage report and give to Quality Control Manager.
- Complete daily quality inspections assigned by QC Manager.
- Ability to make independent fiduciary decisions on behalf of the company for receiving of perishable goods.
- Ensure compliance with all Standard Operating Procedures pertaining to receiving, inspection, storage and handling, and shipping of perishable goods.
- Maintain cleanliness and safe operation of work area and equipment including trash disposal of pallet materials, strapping, etc. during entire shift.
- Compliance with all companywide, local, state, and federal rules and regulations, policies and procedures, Local 630 Union regulations and Code of Conduct standards
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of two years of related experience.
- Ability to read and write clearly and identify detailed language describing product in English. Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
- Basic math skills - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to 1000’s.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple three or four step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with occasional variables.
- USDA Produce Inspection Training Program Certification preferred
- Proficient in ProducePro and Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to handle stressful situations, maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated initiative, good judgement, and problem-solving abilities
- Team player attitude
- Proactively establish and maintain effective working relationships with all
- Maintain a willingness to improve personal and company performance