Vegetable Growers Supply is a distributor of agricultural packaging supplies and harvesting supplies as well as a wide range of services such as inventory management and expertise in product improvement. We have locations throughout California and in Arizona that supply customers across the country.
We are currently have an opening in our Salinas location for a full-time Buyer to assist the Director of Purchasing with investigating and developing sources of supply, purchasing analysis and requests, preparing and issuing quote requests and reviewing quotations.
Primary duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Assures timely delivery of all materials ensuring quality, service and within cost guidelines.
- Assists in the selection of new vendors meeting price and quality criteria.
- Maintains packaging specification files to ensure they are complete and up to date.
- Reviews regional forecasts with Sales partner and updates SAP system accordingly.
- Issues purchase orders based on sales demand and monitors orders through delivery with the help of expeditor.
- Solves issues with orders in an efficient and timely manner.
- Troubleshoots discrepancies on receipts, invoices, billings and credits.
- Initiates and maintains blanket orders and implements price changes where applicable.
- Maintains and updates vendor price sheets in Excel and SAP system.
- Assists expeditor, sales, and operations in Quality Evaluation Returns (QER).
- Initiates, prepares and analyzes bid requests for new items and existing items as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to acquire understanding and absorb new information rapidly.
- Identify significant problems and opportunities. Analyze problems in depth. Relate and compare data from different sources.
- Apply consistent logic, rationality, and objectivity in decision making.
- Generate new (creative) approaches to problems or original modifications (innovations) to established approaches.
- Remain consistent in terms of what one says and does and in terms of behavior toward others.
- Earn trust of coworkers, maintains confidences. Put organization’s interests above self. Do what is right.
- Seek out and seize opportunities; be action-oriented; be able to achieve results despite lack of resources.
- Have the capability to plan, organize, schedule, and budget in an efficient, productive manner.
- Focus on key priorities. Effectively juggle multiple projects. Anticipate reasonable contingencies.
- Manage personal time well.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities. Cope effectively with complexity.
- Regularly monitor customer satisfaction. Meet internal and external customer needs in ways that provide satisfaction and excellent results for the customer. Establish partner relationships and regarded as visible and accessible by internal and external customers.
- Be approachable. Cooperate with supervisors and establish collaborative relationships with peers.
- Communicate effectively both oral and written. Keep people informed. Write clear, precise, well-organized emails, memos, letters, and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary, grammar, and word usage.
We are seeking a candidate that meets the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with the following: Accounting software; Internet software; Inventory software; Order processing systems; Spreadsheet software; Word Processing software.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine reports and correspondence and speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be detail oriented and possess the ability to perform large quantity of data entry with high level of accuracy.
- Must have a strong understanding of purchasing and accounting principles. Experience in the agriculture industry a plus.
VGS offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation and holidays, generous paid sick time, 401K plan with employer contributions, employer sponsored life insurance and an Employee Assistance Program.