West Coast Tomato Growers is a Local Family Farm with a long legacy of agriculture presence across 3 generations in San Diego County and a leader in California Fresh Vegetable farming with more than 700 acres in cultivation.
We are seeking to hire a Packing Shed Maintenance Manager to accompany our already outstanding management team.
Applicants should enjoy working in a family run business setting, have previous farming, food production, or warehouse experience, be passionate about local agriculture, and have a natural knack for details and must have strong people skills.
We care for our employees and go above & beyond to provide support. Our company environment provides a sense of belonging in a strong family surrounding.
The Maintenance Manager is responsible for contributing to quality standards, Good Manufacturing Practices, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
We are flexible with our employees.
- Responsible for the overall performance of the plant’s maintenance technicians.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the technicians and the department.
- Mechanical, Hydraulic, conveyor line systems and Electrical experience
- Develop and implement the plants R&M budget and monitor cost relative to equipment repairs. Assist the Plant Manager in development and implementation of the plant capital budget.
- Schedule labor to meet plant and equipment requirements while assigning responsibilities and managing and supporting maintenance personnel as needed. Create a spirit of customer service to the entire facility.
- Diagnose, develop and implement methods and procedures to ensure most effective utilization of resources and provide best service to the facility.
- Actively participate with operations in plant initiatives. Ensure all mechanical, electrical, electronic and structural repair and improvements are performed to industry standards.
- Ensure that all utilities (i.e. refrigeration, electrical, steam, compressed air systems, facilities, etc.) are in proper working order to support production. Troubleshoot machinery and process systems in the event of breakdowns.
- Maintain a system for tracking work orders, preventative and predictive maintenance and parts and equipment inventory.
- Advise the plant manager on mechanical/downtime issues and their impact on production output.
- Coordinate with production/packaging supervision any downtime windows for preventative maintenance and repair work.
- Track downtime to proactively prevent re-occurrence through root cause analysis involving the key players. Implements corrective actions identified by key maintenance performance indicators to create overall equipment effectiveness.
- Actively participate in plant audits as needed.
- Communicate effectively with all internal customers and support teams.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with contractors, vendors, consultants, suppliers, support teams and plant personnel.
- Coordinate activities relative to spare parts inventory and cost to ensure maximum equipment reliability and team productivity.
- Utilizes a system to optimize asset utilization through scheduled preventative maintenance.
- Remains current with latest and emerging industry regulations and codes relative to mechanical and electrical systems design and operation.
- Ensures corporate policies and standards are followed in both capital project implementation as well as daily maintenance.
- Shares best practices within the Maintenance Department.
- Engages in the typical responsibilities of a manager requiring planning, evaluating, organizing, integrating and delegating.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: College Degree preferred, or equivalent education and work experience. Certification in area of expertise, i.e. hydraulics, electrical, mechanical etc.
- Language: English / Spanish - Must possess the ability to communicate and/or read and understand documents such as safety rules, work rules, HACCP (GMP), USDA, CAL OSHA/SAFETY regulations, company policies and procedure manuals.
- People: Must work in a respectful and cooperative manner with other workers, managers and supervisors.
- Review monthly ranch reports (budget vs actual) and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement for areas reporting to the Vineyard Operations Manager. Produce additional performance reports as requested by company leadership.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Proficient in all Microsoft office applications and Excel.
- Good interpersonal and team building skills with a positive attitude and ability to establish relationships with branch personnel, peers and customers.
- At least 3 years’ experience managing warehouse mechanical personnel.
- Working knowledge of relevant fresh produce industry Food Safety programs (GFS, GMP, HACCP schemes, etc.) Preferred.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of Management.
- Candidates must be eligible to work unrestricted in the U.S. without company sponsorship.
Must have high standards of accountability and work closely with HR & Safety to promote a safety culture.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic, outstanding leadership ability and exceptional interpersonal skills.