Located in Bakersfield, California, the Tax Manager will direct and manage all aspects of tax planning, reporting and compliance and support cooperative accounting at Wonderful Citrus. While leading an analyst to accomplish the work, this manager will collaborate with the U.S. corporate tax team, finance groups, legal, external tax advisors at our parent company, The Wonderful Company, along with government authorities. This position reports to the Sr. Director, Finance with a dotted line to the Tax team at The Wonderful Company.
Here's what you'll do:
- Prepare tax packages including accrual to cash adjustments and state apportionment along with annual tax projections and Unclaimed Property filings and payments, and 199A(g) calculations
- Review tax fixed asset records, sales & use tax filings, and GST/HST filings
- Researching tax issues and responsible for sales tax along with federal excise tax refund claims
- File 1099s with federal and state
- Maintain, develop and implement standard & consistent processes, procedures and systems to ensure that tax compliance work is completed and documented in a timely & efficient manner
- Supervise the flow of work, provide information required, and drive high quality work performed by external tax preparers, auditors, and advisors
- Ensure correct booking and reporting of tax expenses, accruals and benefits
- Interpret current laws and regulations to provide advice on tax reforms or tax changes to our internal or external customers and assist in implement the advice
- Establish cross-functional business relationships that enable the execution of tax planning strategies; provide proactive tax planning ideas
- Support Cooperative tax and legal department on any financial analysis requests
- Identify inefficiencies and implement lean practices
Here's what you'll bring to the table:
- COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption
- Bachelor's Degree in Business (Finance or Accounting preferred)
- 5+ years of direct or related tax experience
- CPA preferred
- Experience in Agriculture or Food Production industries is preferred
- Expert knowledge in tax accounting, fixed assets, research, and property taxes/licensing.
- Strong understanding of the General Ledger, Profit & Loss Statements, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Cash Flow Statement, and journal entries. (Previous experience preferred)
- Advanced proficiency using MS Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Intermediate proficiency using large-scale accounting systems (Oracle is preferred). Expert knowledge of GAAP accounting
- Demonstrated leadership excellence, experiencing managing a team, and delegating the work in an organized manner
- Experience managing the relationship and audit process with government tax authorities and external tax advisors
- Proven ability to cross-collaborate effectively with Legal, Finance, Accounting, and the Corporate Tax Team
- Ability to plan and meet deadlines with superior organization skills
- Excellent analytical skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Familiar with Federal & State Income Taxes a plus
- Action-oriented in taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Ability to quickly, strategically, and decisively take action in fast-changing, unpredictable situation
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.