Index Fresh, Inc. is a packer, shipper, and marketer of avocados from California, Chile, Mexico, and Peru. A corporation owned by California avocado growers, Index Fresh markets to major retailers, food service, and wholesalers across the United States.
Index Fresh is currently seeking an Avocado Buyer to join our Latin-American Sourcing team in executing buying strategies that support short-term and long-term revenue objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Five to seven years of progressive experience in fresh produce sourcing.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of produce commodities, suppliers, market pricing factors and quality indicators.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving ability with the ability to execute solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to build effective working interdepartmental relationships to achieve desired results for the company.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Excel; experience with Prophet software a plus.
- Ability to travel internationally required.
- Fully bilingual English/Spanish (speak, read, write) required.
The Avocado Buyer develops and executes buying strategies and is responsible for activities related to avocado buying.
This position negotiates price, volume and pack style for weekl shipments, monitors market conditions and suppliers to determine fruit availability, works closelywith Sales to monitor demand, allocates purchases, tracks shipper accuracy, anticipates croptransition and events that impact fruit availability, maintains intimate knowledge of the Mexican avocado industry, communicates daily with packers in Mexico, and creates new supplierrelationships.