Seashore Fruit & Produce Company prides itself on bringing over a century of expertise to the table, nurturing fresh and honest partnerships, and providing tailored solutions to foodservice professionals in NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, and DC. Our commitment to quality and innovation drives us to create lasting relationships and deliver excellence for both produce and non-produce items alike.
We are seeking an experienced procurement specialist, with a passion for fresh food, to join our growing team! As a produce buyer, this individual must be eager to develop and sustain a deep understanding of our customers, products, and supply chain to be successful. Collaboration with our Sales and Marketing departments to explore new product lines and grow existing ones will also be an essential function of this role.
- Establish and maintain consistent contact with growers and suppliers.
- Purchasing and negotiating fresh food products.
- Recommend and establish strategic sourcing programs specific to customer needs and expectations.
- Collaborate with the Sales/ Marketing team, using your expertise and theirs to support current and product lines and launching new ones.
- Communicate consistently, professionally, and effectively with internal and external partners.
- Able to work independently and interact effectively with Food Safety, Operations, Marketing/Sales, and Accounting Depts.
- Present and train sales team on products.
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels, with minimal spoilage.
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
- High School Diploma/GED. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience in fresh produce procurement, or related role in the produce industry. 2+ years preferred.
- Knowledge of commodity locations, growing and harvesting practices, food safety, as well as PACA guidelines and rules.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in MS Office products, ability to navigate our ERP, and other technologies.
- Ability to speak and write in English.
- Must pass pre-employment testing (background and drug screening).
To be successful in this position, the individual performing the duties must successfully demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer-Service orientated.
- Genuine interest in food, produce, sustainability, and locally sourced programs.
- Time Management Skills.
- Excellent Written & Verbal Communication Skills.
- A high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision-making.
- Strong team player
We hope you apply to join our amazing team in Vineland, NJ! We have a lot to offer including competitive compensation packages, excellent employee benefits, and a great opportunity to advance your career!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.