Apricot Lane Farms is a 234-acre farm in Moorpark, California: home of The Biggest Little Farm. With a team that makes the seemingly impossible possible, the farm regeneratively grows more than 200 varieties of fruits and vegetables, and raises sheep, cows, pigs, chickens, and ducks with care and respect while working in harmony (or a comfortable level of disharmony) within a dynamic ecosystem.
We are seeking a talented and experienced full-time Controller. This position will oversee the finance team including all aspects of accounting, tax, treasury, and payroll, and will be involved in a diverse mix of accounting projects. The Controller will serve as the most senior finance team member and report to the Director of Business Operations.
- Oversee the Farm’s financial status and develop and issue monthly financial reporting to Senior Management.
- Establish financial policies, procedures, controls, and a system of accounting records and reporting.
- Manage the annual audit and ensure that reported results comply with US GAAP.
- Establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, monitoring, and reporting standards on biweekly, monthly, and annual basis and partner with the management of the Farm on decisions related to this information.
- Provide status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Comply with federal, state, and local tax and legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, and enforcing and implementing adherence to requirements.
- Manage and support the accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity.
- Oversee the day-to-day operating activities of the finance department, including, but not limited to, current accounts payable and receivable, timely and accurate payroll processing, maintaining chart of accounts, overseeing banking and liquidity management, assisting with product line pricing and managing e-commerce sales.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- High attention to detail and strict deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft Suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of California payroll laws and Paychex payroll software.
- Knowledge of Google Workspace preferred.
- Tracking budget expenses.
- Performance management in partnership with HR.
- Maintain confidential information.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work well under time constraints.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Must live within a reasonable commute of the farm.
- Mondays - Fridays; 7:30am - 4:00pm (hybrid position considered for the right candidate)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND LICENSING REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in accounting or finance, with at least 5 years as a manager
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, and ability to effectively communicate key data, including presentations, to management
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- $100,000 - $135,000 / annual salary (DOE)
- Excellent Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision and Flexible Spending Account)
- 10 paid holidays / annually
- Paid sick leave and vacation
- 401k with employer matching
- Employee discounts