Calavo Growers, Inc. is a global avocado-industry leader. The company also markets diversified fresh produce items, ranging from tomatoes to tropical produce. An expanding provider of value-added fresh food, the company's Calavo Foods business segment manufactures and distributes guacamole, guacamole hummus and salsa under the respected Calavo brand name.
Calavo's wholly owned subsidiary, Renaissance Food Group, LLC, creates, markets and distributes a portfolio of healthy, high-quality lifestyle products for consumers through fast-growing brands that include Garden Highway and Chef Essentials.
Founded in 1924, Calavo serves food distributors, produce wholesalers, supermarket retailers and restaurant chains worldwide.
We have an immediate opening for an Accounting Manager to join our team in Santa Paula, CA.
The Accounting Manager will assist the Corporate Controller with various accounting and reporting tasks.
- Maintain fixed asset subledger system in MS Dynamics 365 and reconcile to General Ledger on a monthly basis.
- Maintain records for prepaid accounts for insurance, property taxes, and miscellaneous prepaids.
- Prepare journal entries on a monthly basis in order to amortize prepaid balances.
- Prepare payments requests for all company taxes, licenses and fees.
- Prepare journal entries to accrue certain items including utilities, grower special payments, industry assessments and bank interest.
- Prepare monthly warehouse expense reporting and perform research as needed/requested by operations.
- Perform monthly freight expense analysis.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year end analysis of CA avocados (portion of)
- Input approved wire transfer requests into bank online system.
- Reconcile certain bank accounts.
- Reconcile un-vouchered liability accounts.
- Prepare property tax assessment forms.
- Assist with preparation of operating budget.
- Prepare supporting schedules for SEC reporting.
- Other duties and projects as assigned or required.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration from an accredited college or university; CPA certification desired.
- Three+ years public accounting training a plus and/or strong accounting skills including a minimum five years’ experience with similar responsibilities in a corporate environment.
- Strong general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and banking knowledge.
- General knowledge of income tax and sales tax desired.
- Extensive experience using a PC particularly in Excel; previous JDE and Microsoft Dynamics experience highly preferred.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills to resolve problems by gathering and analyzing information skillfully in a timely manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess excellent sound and accurate judgment; displays willingness to make decisions.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Commitment to company’s values and ethics.