Charlie’s Produce - Who We Are
Charlie's Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, and we are growing. The secret to our success in this industry is PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth. Charlie’s was founded in quality, and we are proud that it is still our focus.
With a team of dedicated people who are passionate about food, supply chain, and their community we are looking for like-minded individuals to help further our goal to enhance our communities through quality produce.
Our Transportation Manager is a member of the Senior Staff responsible for coordinating the daily operations and P&L management of the department. Uphold company safety standards, compliance (state and federal) and standards of conduct. Provide driver support, moving quickly to resolve unexpected problems to ensure operational goals are met with the highest regard for customer service. Maintain efficiency of processes in a fast-paced team environment.
Essential Responsibilities Include but Not Limited To:
- Determine adequate labor needs and staff to meet the business needs within cost controls.
- Effectively plan and train office support staff and establish ongoing performance goals.
- Maintain regular communication with sales, buying, and warehouse staff to ensure operations are functioning satisfactorily.
- Develop and review Division reports profit and loss statement to determine efficiency levels and corrections.
- Initiate transportation capital expenditure requests as needed.
- Conduct regular staff/employee meetings to monitor all aspects of transportation operations including ongoing safety objectives.
- Create route tracking, adjustments and monitor computerized routing of our truck fleet.
- Approve and monitor all costs associated with ongoing maintenance repairs to trucks and trailers.
- Construct annual business plan for LA transportation department and present to Senior Management.
- Dispatching to route drivers as needed.
- Responsible for driver onboarding, training schedules, road testing and ongoing compliance training.
- Ambassador for all DOT Policy implementation.
- Responsible for working with human resources on employee programs including workers comp injury investigations.
- Support and implement food safety, workplace safety and quality assurance initiatives.
- Support and implement the company’s initiatives to promote positive employee morale and team building.
- 5+ years of experience in transportation supervision or management role.
- Must have 3+ years of distribution experience.
- Position leads- TR Supervisor, TR Coordinator, Yard Specialist and all Drivers (approx. 40 headcount)
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of DOT regulations.
- Current commercial driving license, medical card and driving record in good standing preferred.
- Must have good business acumen.
- Proven ability to build and execute budgets, managing department P&L.
- Must be able to read write and speak English fluently, bi-lingual a plus (Spanish).
- Intermediate word and excel skills for correspondence and reporting duties/ pivot tables.
Charlie’s Produce Total Compensation Package includes:
- 95K - 115K annual, plus bonus opportunity!
- We recognize and reward hard work and commitment. Supplemental retirement plan through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Robust health and wellness benefits including medical, dental, and vision, employee assistance program (EAP)
- Paid vacation, sick and holiday pay
- Employer-covered College Program, earn your degree after 1 year!
- Fidelity 401(k) available
- Flexible days but may need coverage on another shift as needed.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Please note that the pay range provided is a good faith estimate for the position at the time of posting. Actual compensation will be dependent on factors, including but not limited to, the individual’s qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities as well as physical work location within the state.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.