Founded in 1956 by company patriarch, Don Christopher, Christopher Ranch has been the nation’s leading garlic producer for generations. With nearly 6,000 acres of California heirloom garlic, grown statewide, you can be sure to find our products in all 50 states.
Christopher Ranch has an immediate opening for PM Operator for our Whole Peel Garlic. This hourly Maintenance Mechanic position is located at our Gilroy, CA facility.
As the Whole Peel Garlic – PM Operator you will be responsible for conducting machine setup, reconfiguration, troubleshooting, repairs and preventive maintenance services.
Maintenance Mechanic Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provides emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production hours.
- Performs scheduled preventative maintenance repairs of equipment during service periods.
Prepares and sets up machinery for scheduled production runs, including but not limited to;
- Optical Sorters
- Laser Sorters
- Ozone Generators
- Bagging Machines
- Vacuum Packing Machines
- Food Processing Scales
- Metal Detectors
- Bucket Elevators and Belt Conveyors
- Performs mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic troubleshooting and repairs.
- Reads and interprets equipment manuals.
- Reads and responds to work-orders required for maintenance and service.
- Reports potential maintenance issues to the Maintenance Manager or Maintenance Lead.
- Makes safety a priority and complies with all OSHA Safety and Health rules.
- Assists Production Personnel as required to maintain Good Manufacturing Processes and a high-quality food safety program.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Good oral and written communication skills; English required and Spanish preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Desired technical training; electrical troubleshooting and exposure to high-speed equipment.
- 2+ years of experience repairing and maintaining mechanical technology.
- Experience with packing/production machines preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here, represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk; use hands to finger handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and explosives. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. However, on some instances this job may require work in areas where ear and / or eye protection is necessary.
Complete job description to be provided during application process.
Join Gilroy’s Finest – Christopher Ranch team – apply today!