We are currently seeking an experienced Transportation Manager to be responsible for managing the execution, direction, and coordination of the organization’s refrigerated freight hauling. It is their duty to get perishable foods and products that require a temperature-controlled trailer to our customers in the most efficient, safe, timely, and cost-effective manner.
$90K per year DOE
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Directing all transportation activities including: management of inbound and outbound dispatchers, supervision of internal and third party drivers, subhauler vendor vetting, and performance metrics monitoring.
- Utilize Freight Flow to plan daily routes and load scheduling for multi-drop deliveries, both inbound and outbound.
- Oversee margin performance.
- Interface with customers, either directly or through other personnel, to determine distribution requirements.
- Research and correct customer problems.
- Collaborate with VP of Ops and Buying team to assess inbound freight needs and establish efficient distribution plans.
- Ensure appropriate back up is available in support for payments made to subhaulers.
- Tracking transportation vehicles using the ProducePro driver application.
- Monitoring transportation costs.
- Research and suggest cost-effective shipping methods.
- Determine pricing to achieve target margin and consistent with pricing parameters established by business leadership.
- Negotiating and bargaining transportation prices.
- Maximize routing to ensure deliveries are profitable, timely and efficient.
- Transact all relevant activities in Produce Pro including, Trip entries, Allocation of sales orders per trips for accurate accounting, application of freight and freight related cost allocations on POs and SOs.
- Perform annual review of Freight Vendor Compliance information to ensure subcontracted vendors are in compliance and able to keep an account in good standing.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for transportation operations.
- Staying up to date on regulations including those related to HACCP, employee safety, and freight classifications.
- Organize and conduct training sessions for drivers (e.g. proper use of machines, driver app, handling of product, accident reporting, credit documentation, etc.)
- Direct the maintenance, repair, and replacement of transportation vehicles.
- Manage and electronically file all freight-related documentation to minimize customer discrepancies and support complete and accurate payments due to subhaulers.
- Support Accounting team to resolve account discrepancies by investigating documentation (returns, statements, invoices, etc.) and the issuance of payments and/or adjustments when applicable
- Within established guidelines, independently organizes, prioritizes, and initiates work activities.
- Guidance is provided in new or unusual situations but may be limited therefore the employee must demonstrate initiative and be a self starter.
- Compliance with all companywide, local, state, and federal rules and regulations, policies and procedures, Local 630 Union regulations and Code of Conduct standards.
Proven work experience as a Transportation Manager, shipping manager, or similar role. Knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to the transportation of goods.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate clearly in English.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
- Basic math skills - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to 1000’s.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions.
- Ability to use good judgement and multi-task without losing focus on primary objectives.
- Familiarity with logistics software, proficient in ProducePro, and Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to handle stressful situations, maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated initiative, good judgement, and problem-solving abilities
- Proactively establish and maintain effective working relationships with all Improvement.
- Maintain a willingness to improve personal and company performance.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.